none
Why am I getting Chinese downloads? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to download the latest version of Remote Tools (Ver. 15.5.3). English is selected in the drop-down, but I get the Chinese version. Not what I'm paying for. Please correct.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 8:33 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to download the latest version of Remote Tools (Ver. 15.5.3). English is selected in the drop-down, but I get the Chinese version. Not what I'm paying for. Please correct.

Dear Harvey Birdman,

Can you please tell me the filename or please post the screenshot.

Thanks,
    prathaprabhu

If my reply is useful please mark it as answered as it help other users with the same query. I am a Microsoft Partner, MVP and MCC and I want to become One Day Microsoft CEO. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/237697e9-8504-4686-a19b-642cb3fd7393/how-to-contact-visual-studio-subscription-support-step-by-step-tutorial-w-screenshots?forum=msdnfeedback https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64b37019-90cf-4633-a4c6-349512c33427/activating-subscription-with-work-email-and-subscription-id?forum=msdnfeedback

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:10 AM
  • First screenshot - the downloads page in my MSDN account.

Note that English is selected as the language. Click on the 'Info' link to see the following details:

Note the file name contained in the 'Info' details. But when I attempt to download, I see the following:

Note that the filename is NOT that specified in the details. And if I do download and attempt to run the file I'm given, the following is what I see:

As I said, NOT what I'm paying for, and NOT what the details say I'm supposed to get.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:11 PM
  • First screenshot - the downloads page in my MSDN account.

Note that English is selected as the language. Click on the 'Info' link to see the following details:

Note the file name contained in the 'Info' details. But when I attempt to download, I see the following:

Note that the filename is NOT that specified in the details. And if I do download and attempt to run the file I'm given, the following is what I see:

As I said, NOT what I'm paying for, and NOT what the details say I'm supposed to get.

Dear Harvey Birdman,

I tried to download the same file and have experienced the same error. As a temporary workaround Please select the language "Spanish" from the drop down menu as it downloads the "English" language. I have already raised this request to the Visual Studio Subscription team, hopefully they will fix it.

In the mean time you can also download the same file from the following link

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

Thanks,
    prathaprabhu

If my reply is useful please mark it as answered as it help other users with the same query. I am a Microsoft Partner, MVP and MCC and I want to become One Day Microsoft CEO. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/237697e9-8504-4686-a19b-642cb3fd7393/how-to-contact-visual-studio-subscription-support-step-by-step-tutorial-w-screenshots?forum=msdnfeedback https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64b37019-90cf-4633-a4c6-349512c33427/activating-subscription-with-work-email-and-subscription-id?forum=msdnfeedback

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:01 AM
  • Hi, prathaprabhu:

Thanks for responding.

Good to know the problem can be replicated. I'll try the 'Spanish' trick (that's pretty funny). I did actually download the version from the page you provide a link last night, but there's no indication of which version of VS it's supposed to be for, and I was hoping to get Ver. 15.5, as I had just updated VS.

So I'll try the Spanish trick. And thanks again.

:)

EDIT: - Hmmm. Same problem w/ the file name when downloading the Spanish version from My Account's downloads - the file name is generic, it isn't the specific file name called out in the 'Info' details, so there is no indication that it's for the right VS version, nor is there any indication as to OS version (x64 vs x86). I'll give it a whirl on the target machine tomorrow and let you know if it works.

But thanks, and I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:17 AM
  • The Spanish trick worked, and works with the latest greatest releaser of VS (15.5.4). It's unfortunate that the remote tools file name doesn't match the name the documentation calls out, though, like they used to. I guess it was too much work for someone to continue using the same naming conventions.
    Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:47 PM