none
questions about v1.5 which was released RRS feed

• Question

• I have two questions and one maybe easy to answer but I think some of the questions will be asked again and again by community so i thought I would ask here so as to not have repeats to related questions with same topic or closely related:

1.I was wondering does it kinect studio allow export to 3d model formats or help in preperation of data if we were to export to 3d model formats in a suitable format. Then  use third party open source sdk to convert to that 3d model format? 

2. I was thinking about iterations for a kinect sign language project i started on codeplex. if I can capture the skeleton data for that set of motions. Then  I link that file in a local app database I can or other people can add their interpretation of the sign language letter.  What should I consider in v1.5 sdk to help out with this? I will just do a basic comparision of the filenames listed in database that compare close enough to that sign language letter and let the user choose the correct letter which would be faster then folder directory searching i think.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:54 PM

Answers

• 1. Kinect Studio writes only one format: XED, which is really intended to be used just for playback (also via Kinect Studio) to replay frames into your application at a later time. Try not to read too much additional capability into the tool. If you want to save data in a 3d model format, that's work that rightly belongs in your own application. You could use Kinect Studio to capture some clips and then later use Kinect Studio to feed them into your 3d model-generating application, if desired.

2. I'm not sure I understand the question. Is there a specific v1.5 feature that you think might be applicable to your project?

John
    K4W Dev

• Marked as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Kinect Studio only records the depth and color data. How your application uses depth/color data would be no different than if it was a live feed from the camera. If it makes it easier to understand, think of it as a unit-test tool for depth and color. A recording of a person swiping left should result in the same depth and color data without deviation.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:14 PM

All replies

• 1. Kinect Studio writes only one format: XED, which is really intended to be used just for playback (also via Kinect Studio) to replay frames into your application at a later time. Try not to read too much additional capability into the tool. If you want to save data in a 3d model format, that's work that rightly belongs in your own application. You could use Kinect Studio to capture some clips and then later use Kinect Studio to feed them into your 3d model-generating application, if desired.

2. I'm not sure I understand the question. Is there a specific v1.5 feature that you think might be applicable to your project?

John
    K4W Dev

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:31 PM
  • You could use Kinect Studio to capture some clips and then later use Kinect Studio to feed them into your 3d model-generating application, if desired. <- this. Question is what data does the file contain depth data?

I just wish to save clip data of a certain time sequence using kinect studio and do multiple xed files and compare them for best 3-4 matches for a letter.

For instance, save a clip data for 10 minutes activity doing a sign for letter A. Then do a sign for letter B. But i will have a database to store multiple interpretations of the sign so if someone signs differently the letter A they can add their sign to the sign database too so as to have better accuracy. 

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:50 PM
  • anymore information? I found out reconstructme uses kinect sdk for 3d model importation for anyone that asks. But as far as sign language what do you think is possible?

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Kinect Studio only records the depth and color data. How your application uses depth/color data would be no different than if it was a live feed from the camera. If it makes it easier to understand, think of it as a unit-test tool for depth and color. A recording of a person swiping left should result in the same depth and color data without deviation.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:14 PM
  • Im mostly just worried about all the data for whole period of time being captured before with skeleton and/or depth data but kinect studio makes it easier for me to do that carmine if its depth and/or rgb data for a period of time. I will try recording some depth data and then do a comparsion and see if my plan works.

P.S. off topic but forgot to add above:

Is xbox kinect supported with version 1.5 kinect sdk or only for development purposes as v1?

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Kinect for Xbox has the same level of support in v1.5 as it did in v1.0.

That said, we recommend you use a Kinect for Windows sensor.

Thanks, Rob Relyea
    Kinect for Windows team

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Yes I still am using xbox kinect but only for development purposes and before i deploy I will do final tests with the kinect for windows sensor.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:28 PM
  • I have another question on kinect studio where do I find the api used to program it or does it have source code version? I want to save data like in kinect studio while in my program so as to capture data in all circumstances.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:02 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:01 PM