MSDN Versus Visual Studio Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hey gang,

I'm thinking about taking my entire personal source code archive and throwing it up in a personal repo on Visual Studio Online. The thing is, I also have an MSDN account which is provided for me through work.

I have associated the MSDN license allocated to me with my personal outlook account (to make things easier).  My visual studio online account is also associated to the same personal outlook account.

Question is:  Once I leave the company I am working for, and the MSDN license is transferred to someone else, will this affect my personal Visual Studio online repo ?  

Are these completely distinct offerings?  Microsoft has so much stuff it's hard to keep things straight.

(For example, I also have an Office 365 subscription tied to the same outlook account.)

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Base on your reply, you are using Visual Studio Team Service(VSO). I help you move this case to Visual Studio Team Service forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards, 

Tingting

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 13, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

my understanding is, that you have a microoft account which you use for different things e.g. MSDN subscription, Visual Studio Team Services and so on.

In general, the live account (Microsoft Account) is person based. So it is your account and it will still be yours when you leave the company. So you can assign multiple email adresses and so on.

When you leave the company, then the account will still be yours. But you have to remove the msdn subscription from your account. And you will loose the "VSTS subscrition" witch is included with the MSDN subscription (shouldn't be that hard because up to 5 people are free to use it!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, June 13, 2016 8:59 AM