Inconsistency of mandatory field (email address) RRS feed

• Question

• when create a healthvault account e-mail address is mandatory, but when create a profile (new health record) it's not mandatory.

I'm facing problem in the below scenario.

I just deleted the existing profile (health record -self),  and creted new profile and i did not enter the e-mail address (since it is not mandatory while creating new health rocord).

Now when i try to get the personal contact information, it is throwing the error.

I hope e-mail address may not necessary when more than one profile (heath record) available. And it is mandatory when only one profile (self) available.

please let me know if i am wrong.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:29 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

For record creation, you are correct, an email address is not a requirement.  For us, we figured not every person associated with a record in our system will have an email address.  For example, when considering a health record for an infant, an email address doesn't make sense.

However, when you create an account (which includes more than just a record), an email address is required.  The email address is required for the account, but since we're creating a self record for that account at the same time we populate the newly created self record with the email address you gave us.

As it turns out, you can delete every record from your account, then create a new self record.  At that time, if you don't provide an email address, your self record will not have an email associated with it.

To be safe, it's best to never assume that a record has an email address associated with it.

I hope this logic makes sense.  If not, please let me know and I'll try to make it more clear.

Thanks,
    Dan

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Veera,

The approach that HealthVault takes is to allow the user to control their own data.  If the user decides that they don't want to have an email address associated with a record, than that is their decision and we've chosen to respect it.

The one caveat is on account creation.  We require an email address for the person signing up (person, not record).  As a matter of convenience, we add that person's email address to an auto-generated self record.  Again, it's up to the user to determine if they want to keep it in the record or not.

Like I said earlier, it's best not to assume that any record has any amount of data associated with it.  Always do a check to see if the record has what you're looking for, and if it does, you can use it.

Thanks,
    Dan

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:43 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

For record creation, you are correct, an email address is not a requirement.  For us, we figured not every person associated with a record in our system will have an email address.  For example, when considering a health record for an infant, an email address doesn't make sense.

However, when you create an account (which includes more than just a record), an email address is required.  The email address is required for the account, but since we're creating a self record for that account at the same time we populate the newly created self record with the email address you gave us.

As it turns out, you can delete every record from your account, then create a new self record.  At that time, if you don't provide an email address, your self record will not have an email associated with it.

To be safe, it's best to never assume that a record has an email address associated with it.

I hope this logic makes sense.  If not, please let me know and I'll try to make it more clear.

Thanks,
    Dan

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  

Hi Dan,

I agree with you, it is not necessary to have an email for all associated records. But i hope the email address is necessary when only one record(self) for the account.

Here my scenario is, i'm having only one record(self) with email address and i'm deleting it and creating a new self record without email address (here email is not necessary). Now i can not get the contact information. I can not assume all the person will have an email id for their account, it should be mandatory when an account having only one record (self).

Regards,

Veera

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:45 AM
  • Veera,

The approach that HealthVault takes is to allow the user to control their own data.  If the user decides that they don't want to have an email address associated with a record, than that is their decision and we've chosen to respect it.

The one caveat is on account creation.  We require an email address for the person signing up (person, not record).  As a matter of convenience, we add that person's email address to an auto-generated self record.  Again, it's up to the user to determine if they want to keep it in the record or not.

Like I said earlier, it's best not to assume that any record has any amount of data associated with it.  Always do a check to see if the record has what you're looking for, and if it does, you can use it.

Thanks,
    Dan

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just curious to know why do we need to have the e-mail address as mantatory field while create the self record (first time). Any how we have logged into our HV account using some e-mail id, again why does it made as mantatory when create healthvault account (create self record), since you specified that user may not want to associate the e-mail id with a record.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:32 AM