Why SSRS is looking for "Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config" RRS feed

• Question

• I am using BIDS 2012.

I am getting this error:

Unable to load assembly U2.Data.Client, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral , PublicKeyToken=9ab9148678f4f448, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.  ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'U2.Data.Client, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9ab9148678f4f448' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

When I see the log file, it shows

LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
    LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\web.config
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: U2.Data.Client, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9ab9148678f4f448

I am expecting

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config

how can I force SSRS to use "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config".

Regards,

Rajan Kumar

Rajan

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer the following notes specified in the link posted in my previous reply.

• You can load assemblies when Microsoft Reporting Server 2012 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in Microsoft SharePoint integration mode runs as a SharePoint shared service. This is because the service runs as a Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 process and the report server can load custom assemblies and extensions that are built for the .NET Framework 4.x.
    • SSRS is built against the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. We recommend that you use .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.5 only in SSRS.

Hence it is obvious that reports deployed in SSRS standalone mode will not support .NET 4.0 assemblies. But you can load .NET 4.0 assemblies if you deploy reports in SharePoint Integration mode.

Also when you preview report in Visual Studio, it runs locally by VS and not running under SSRS process. Hence it may support 4.0 in VS preview but will not be supported after deployment in SSRS. Try to use .NET 2.0 assemblies to resolve your issue.

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

• Proposed as answer by Katherine Xiong Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by rajank Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:04 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer the following links.

Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2014

The .NET Framework 4.x assemblies are not supported in SQL Server Reporting Services

.NET 3.5 SP1 is the requirement for SSRS 2012 and 2014. Also .NET 4.0 is not supported. Since .NET 3.5 is the extension of .NET 2.0, it refers the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config. You cannot force to use machine.config in .NET 4.0 version.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:56 PM
  • Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I am noticing. If I change “reportserver.config” file from

.NET Framework 4.0 => Extension Name="U2" Type="U2.Data.Client.U2Connection,U2.Data.Client, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral , PublicKeyToken=9ab9148678f4f448"/>

To

.NET Framework 2.0 => Extension Name="U2" Type="U2.Data.Client.U2Connection,U2.Data.Client, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral , PublicKeyToken=7afaaf959fd491a0"/>

then it works.

Is there any work around or setting to include FW4.0 assembly? Or we have to wait till next+ SSRS Release.

Regards,

Rajan

Rajan

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Hi Ramesh,

I have one more question.

I have seen that SSRS (VS Project) itself works (without report server). I mean I can see correct when I switch from "Design" to "Preview" within Visual Studio.

This time it is loading FW 4.0 assembly . Why ? Please explain me.

Regards,

Rajan

Rajan

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer the following notes specified in the link posted in my previous reply.

• You can load assemblies when Microsoft Reporting Server 2012 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in Microsoft SharePoint integration mode runs as a SharePoint shared service. This is because the service runs as a Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 process and the report server can load custom assemblies and extensions that are built for the .NET Framework 4.x.
    • SSRS is built against the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. We recommend that you use .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.5 only in SSRS.

Hence it is obvious that reports deployed in SSRS standalone mode will not support .NET 4.0 assemblies. But you can load .NET 4.0 assemblies if you deploy reports in SharePoint Integration mode.

Also when you preview report in Visual Studio, it runs locally by VS and not running under SSRS process. Hence it may support 4.0 in VS preview but will not be supported after deployment in SSRS. Try to use .NET 2.0 assemblies to resolve your issue.

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

• Proposed as answer by Katherine Xiong Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by rajank Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:04 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:40 AM