none
gacutil /uf failing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Command "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\gacutil.exe" /uf "Microsoft.Tenant" fails on a random basis. I get the message

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 1.1.4322.573
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

Assembly: Microsoft.Tenant, Version=5.3.2.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=79c50bcc04d7fb4f, Custom=null
    Uninstall Failed for: Microsoft.Tenant, Version=5.3.2.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=79c50bcc04d7fb4f, Custom=null
         The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

But, when I try uninstalling directly from assembly folder, I am successful. If the issue is with some processes accessing the dll, I manual ungac should also fail. Not able to figure out why this happens on a random basis. ' /f ' has never done good for me Sad

Any pointers?

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:49 AM

All replies

• /uf assemblyName Forces a specified assembly to uninstall by removing all references to the assembly.

Specifying this option is equivalent to specifying the /u and /f options together.

Note   You cannot use this option to remove an assembly that was installed using Microsoft Windows Installer. If you attempt this operation, the tool displays an error message.

Also you can use gacutil.exe in the folder \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\bin if you've installed VS 2005 to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 5:09 AM
  • Hi!

This dll is installed using GACUTIL command not through Windows Installer. Issue is we are not able to figure out why this happens intermittently.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:28 AM
  • Any help would be appreciated!!

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:00 PM
  • I get the same random error.  It works fine if I uninstall the assembly using Explorer.  But using gacutil /uf just gives me the error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:13 PM