none
The intellisense does not work for any ADODB objects with vs2008 in Windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• When I edit in a asp file, the intellisense does not work for any ADODB objects with vs2008(sp1) in Windows 7.

For example:
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")
    .. And next line I keyin "conn". Then keyin ".", but it does not popup the intellisense menu for ADODB.connection.

But, the native objects for asp, such as Request, Response, Session, Server.. etc., them popup the  intellisense menu correctly.

Or some other objects, such as CDO.Message. them works fine !

• Moved by Brittany Behrens Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:43 PM (From:Visual Studio Editor)
    • Edited by Snoopy Chen Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:02 AM
    • Moved by Barclay Hill Friday, July 9, 2010 9:39 PM More appropriate forum (From:Visual Studio Database Development Tools (Formerly "Database Edition Forum"))
    Friday, July 2, 2010 2:22 AM

Answers

• Dear JiZhou:

Thank you for your reply.

• Yes ! Just ass youe said. I use "CDO.Message" with Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message").  And then just keyin "." following the variable of "CDO.Message". Then popup the intellisense menu for the "CDO.Message".
    • I have posted the question to ASP.Net forums: http://forums.asp.net/t/1578230.aspx !
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Snoopy,

What is the language of the code are you using? Do you use Visual Studio Database edition or tools in this scenario?

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Hi Snoopy,

What is the language of the code are you using? Do you use Visual Studio Database edition or tools in this scenario?

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

It is a ".asp" file not ".aspx". So, the language is VBScript !   No Database edtion or tools !
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Hi Snoopy,

For web development questions, you may try forums.asp.net for better response.

The forum Visual Studio Database Development Tools (Formerly "Database Edition Forum") is specially for discussion on VSDB and related tools.

Thanks for your understanding.

Figo Fei

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Thnaks !

My question is about "Intellisense" of VS2008 !  The "asp" is just the text format of file. So, I think this question should be a Visual Studio issue !

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi Snoopy,

To edit your Classic ASP files and still utilize syntax highlighting and intellisense. You need to associate the “.asp“ file extension with the Web Form Editor. When doing this you are telling the IDE to treat “.asp“ files the same as “.aspx“ files, in turn sort of “tricking“ the IDE in to giving you the syntax highlighting and intellisense that you want.

The steps in setting up the IDE are as follows:

1. Open Visual Studio
    2. Goto the "Tools" menu and click "Options..."
    3. Check the "Show all options" checkbox in the bottom left of the dialog box.
    4. In the right pane expand "Text Editor" and select "File Extension"
    5. Enter "ASP" extension in the "Extension" textbox
    6. Select "Web Form Editor" in the Editor dropdown box
    7. Click the "Add" button and click "Ok" on the dialog box.

And now you can enjoy all the syntax highlighting and intellisense features for JavaScript, HTML and Visual Basic while editing your Classic ASP files.

HTH.

Figo Fei

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Dear Figo Fei:

Thank you very much.  But, it still not work !

The intellisense not work only for ADODB object. Others is fine, even the intellisense for jQuery !

Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Hello Snoopy Chen,

This is wrongly moved to ADO.NET DataSet forum. The original question is not related to ADO.NET DataSet at all. However, I am trying to provide some points here to see if they help.

• I test in my side with a simple ASP file in my Visual Studio 2010. I see the behavior that, the intellisense works for ASP native objects like Server, Response..., but it fails for the object that I create with Server.CreateObject().
    • In my opinion, Visual Studio usually display intellisense by resolving the referenced assembly and parsing methods and properties in it. In our codes, we call Server.CreateObject() to create a COM object directly by passing the prog id string. In this condition, I think Visual Studio should not display the intellisense for us by default because it cannot know the object type information from anywhere. I replace "ADOBD.Connection" with "CDO.Message", I still do not get the intellisense in my side. It is strange for me that Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message") works in your side. Do I misunderstand the way you are talking about CDO.Message?
    • I searched on the web, there is project in the codeproject site, it can reference a COM component, so you will get the intellisense from that editor. So I think as a workaround currently, we can use that tool to write codes snippet and pass the codes back into VS. That may release the pain more or less. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vbscript/VbScript_Editor_With_Inte.aspx
    • I am trying to find an appropriate forum in the MSDN forum, but I think there is no one. As far as I know, I agree Figo, the question is better to be raised in ASP.NET forum. It has sub forums to discusse Visual Studio(complier, eitor, everything related to IDE) related issues, http://forums.asp.net/1112.aspx

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou - MSFT
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:08 AM
  • Dear JiZhou:

Thank you for your reply.

• Yes ! Just ass youe said. I use "CDO.Message" with Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message").  And then just keyin "." following the variable of "CDO.Message". Then popup the intellisense menu for the "CDO.Message".
    • I have posted the question to ASP.Net forums: http://forums.asp.net/t/1578230.aspx !
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:41 PM
  • OK. Thanks for updating! Hope you can get a quick answer from there.

If there is anything else I can provide support from my side, please let me know. If not, can we close this thread now?

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou - MSFT
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:53 AM
  • OK, close it !
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:39 AM