none
Email notifications and AD domain users in SharePoint 2010 - some receive notifications but most don't RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Background information.

User group were originally on one AD domain when they first connected to SharePoint.

at this point email notifications , e.g. alerts were working ( i.e. users receive email to indicate that the alert has been set up and then subsequently receive alerts as per their configuration )

This user group were migrated to another AD domain. a trust was set up between SharePoint and the new domain and users were able to connect to SharePoint without difficulty.

I note now some strange behaviour in relation to the delivery and receipt of email notifications from SharePoint.

I am still on AD domain 1 and I receive email notifications.

the users on AD domain 2 typically are not receiving notifications ( I say typically because some users have received them )

When I checked in the /_Catalogs/Users/simple.aspx for my site collections I note 2 entries per user.

1 for each domain user ( i.e. "AD Domain 1\user1" and "AD Domain 2\user1" )

Could this be confusing SharePoint in that it doesn't know what email address to send it to ?

I wouldn't have thought so.

I deleted some specific AD Domain 1 user accounts from the site collection but this didn't have the desired effect.

Is this something anyone else has come across before ?

ps: We are not running User Profile Synch Service ( could this be the problem ? )

thanks and regards,

Counie

SharePoint Farmer in training

Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:45 PM

Answers

• Eureka!

the mail server configured in Central Admin was not able to deliver emails to the users in AD Domain 2

Specifying a mail server that was able to relay emails to both domains was the solution.

thanks and regards,

Counie

SharePoint Farmer in training

Monday, July 8, 2013 1:13 PM