none
Master Build WEC7, Launching multiple applications RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a WEC7 image that includes a number of other applications that will automatically execute automatically when system is powered up.

I have one solutions that builds the WEC7 image. I have other separate solutions that build each of the 3 other applications.

My goal would be to be able to build the WEC7 image that would then cause each of the other applications to be built and incorporate them into the image in a manner that they will be started on boot.

Can anyone provide the best approach to achieve this?

TIA, Liam

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:46 AM

Answers

• You can add all the application that needed in your WEC7 image as a subprojects in your solution.

Build all your subrpjects and add the application entries in your .bib and .reg files.

you can follow the link below

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms924527.aspx

In platform.reg file add the following entry. It will launch “YourApp.exe” at the boot up process.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]
    "LaunchXX"="YourApp.exe"
    "DependXX"=hex:14,00,1E,00
    Here,

XX – Sequence at which the application will launch.
    50 – Means before the explorer launches application should launched.
    99 – After loading everything explorer and other stuffs (if any) application will launch.
    YourApp.exe – This specifies the application name that going to launched.

How to add a file to the Windows folder:
    ROMIMAGE uses Binary Image Builder (BIB) files to configure how it should configure the ROM.

The syntax to add a file to windows folder is as follows

Example

YourFile1.xxx $(_TARGETPLATROOT)\SRC\APPS\YourFile1.xxx NK SH
    YourFile2.xxx $(_TARGETPLATROOT)\SRC\APPS\YourFile2.xxx NK SH

Jeslin Paul

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Extending Jeslin's solution:

Apps that start with HKLM\Init must call SignalStarted() or subsequent applications may not start.

You may want to review http://geekswithblogs.net/BruceEitman/archive/2009/02/07/windows-ce-more-on-starting-an-application-when-the-device.aspx

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

• Marked as answer by LiamDee Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:28 PM

All replies

• You can add all the application that needed in your WEC7 image as a subprojects in your solution.

Build all your subrpjects and add the application entries in your .bib and .reg files.

you can follow the link below

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms924527.aspx

In platform.reg file add the following entry. It will launch “YourApp.exe” at the boot up process.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]
    "LaunchXX"="YourApp.exe"
    "DependXX"=hex:14,00,1E,00
    Here,

XX – Sequence at which the application will launch.
    50 – Means before the explorer launches application should launched.
    99 – After loading everything explorer and other stuffs (if any) application will launch.
    YourApp.exe – This specifies the application name that going to launched.

How to add a file to the Windows folder:
    ROMIMAGE uses Binary Image Builder (BIB) files to configure how it should configure the ROM.

The syntax to add a file to windows folder is as follows

Example

YourFile1.xxx $(_TARGETPLATROOT)\SRC\APPS\YourFile1.xxx NK SH
    YourFile2.xxx $(_TARGETPLATROOT)\SRC\APPS\YourFile2.xxx NK SH

Jeslin Paul

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Extending Jeslin's solution:

Apps that start with HKLM\Init must call SignalStarted() or subsequent applications may not start.

You may want to review http://geekswithblogs.net/BruceEitman/archive/2009/02/07/windows-ce-more-on-starting-an-application-when-the-device.aspx

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

• Marked as answer by LiamDee Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

I have similar requirement. However, I would like to be able to have a separate solution for my application, rather than have it a sub-project within the WEC7.

This means that I can develop, debug and control the application code during the development phase, independent of WEC image. This means that someone without a WEC7 licence can develop the application code.

I would then like the person with WEC7 to be able to incorporate the application into WEC7 image.

Is this possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:39 PM
  • yes, definitely it is possible. You can install the SDK (build from the OS design or specific to your hardware platform) and start developing the application. Initially you can debug the application using Active sync or (your target device connected to the development PC). Later you can add just the application executable in your OS Image or the entire application source as a sub-project (as mentioned earlier) in your OS design.

Jeslin Paul

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hi Jeslin,

Thanks for replying.

I did try to add an existing project, which builds fine in its own application solutions, to the WEC7 image - however this failed.

When adding the .csproj my errors is "Value cannot be null. Parameter name value"

When I add the .pbpxml for the same project I get the error:- File: xxx.dat in subproject xxxxx.pbpxml, does not exist.

So I cannot add the existing project to the WEC7 image

Monday, May 27, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Hey Brian,

When I add the .pbpxml for the same project I get the error:- File: xxx.dat in subproject xxxxx.pbpxml, does not exist.

This error comes because the originally created subproject (xxx.pbpxml) was having a .dat file associated with it. And as you add this subproject, it looks for the xxx.dat file failing which it prompts the error you mentioned. Pls check the same.

Happy Debugging!! :)

Monday, May 27, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi deepak,

I am not aware of the .dat file being used during project startup.

Editing the pbpxml file, I do see and entry for DatFile="xxx.dat"

I do not have a .dat file. What is the purpose of this file?

How do I resolve this issue?

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Brian,

Editing the pbpxml file, I do see and entry for DatFile="xxx.dat"

If that is the case, I'm not sure of the issue. But it's certain that some place xxx.dat has been mentioned.

I do not have a .dat file. What is the purpose of this file?

A file with the DAT file extension is a Data file.

How do I resolve this issue?

I'd suggest you better create a new subproject (xxx.pbpxml) out of the source code you have.

Monday, May 27, 2013 10:47 AM
  • A DAT file is used to add filesystem entries on device boot. For example, maybe you want a shortcut to some document to be on the user's desktop. A DAT file entry can do that. Search on ""Windows ce" dat file" for information.

Paul T.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:47 PM
  • If you do not require any folders on the Windows file system when WinCE boots up, nor any shortcuts, nor any app-specific data files to be there, then you can create an empty .DAT file with the proper name as stored in the .pbxml file, and that will remove that build error.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:09 PM