How to use Windows IoT as a small web server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

does somebody has an idea how to use the Windows 10 IoT as simple web-(http)-server to deliver html files?

I know you can work with the integrated node.js server to deploy a html-file but I'm looking for a much simpler way. I mean, the status web page is already hosted on the IoT device...

Thanks!

Regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:36 PM

Answers

• The product group's official stance on this is to either write your webserver in C# or Python, samples are available, or use node.js. Currently IoT does not include a built in webserver though this may change in the future.

Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:51 PM

All replies

• Dumping an html file into c:\windows\WEBB\WWW\DEFAULT does become accessible from the web browser but it will ask you for authentication. I don't know if it is possible to turn that off and, furthermore, this is likely to be an unsupported scenario. However, I will raise this with the product group.

Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

I know this way, but it's not the one I would like to use in production. :)

The Node.js server has the problem, that if you wanna use Express - you ned a openSSL installation on the device. Windows 10 IoT seems to hasn't installed it.

Thanks for you help. Maybe we'll find a solution.

Best regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:34 AM
  • The product group's official stance on this is to either write your webserver in C# or Python, samples are available, or use node.js. Currently IoT does not include a built in webserver though this may change in the future.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:51 PM
  • Hi Mark,

thanks for your response. I hope that the final of Windows 10 IoT will has a simple and integrated webserver.

Regards, Tobi

Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:57 AM
  • Is it possible to use the mvc self hosted owin nuget packages in a universal app or iot background app to host a web server?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 1:22 PM
  • No currently self hosted owin will not run on Win10 Core IoT.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:10 PM
  • any plan to include OWIN in Win10 Core IoT?

- brian

Sunday, August 30, 2015 8:32 AM
  • As i already wrote it is really important to close the gap between Universal Application and vNext Application.

I mean, we have a lot of new stuff here, well done Microsoft, but we cannot mix them....as for example OWIN in a Universal Application.

I made a lot of research and i found that the best it will be to deploy a vNext application to IoT targetting ARM architecture but there is no support for GPIO so.....no way! This is really sad!

Jump to: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3033043d-b456-4220-9929-c30f10cc627f/gpio-with-vnext-or-uap-with-vnextbe-or-not-to-be?forum=WindowsIoT

• Edited by Diego Bonura Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:15 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:18 AM