Please vote. Do you like the AppStore lock down on Metro Apps? (All Apps must be distributed via AppStore and MS takes 30% Profit)

General discussion

• http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/windows-8-app-store-will-be-the-only-source-of-metro-apps/14873

Developers can only create metro apps if they have a license with MS. Here is what happens when I attempt to create a Metro Application.

I do not want MS to have control on my code. I want to create free Open Source apps for metro. Even if they were paid I refuse to give MS 30% profit from sales.

Their excuses of this lockdown is only to prevent malware is completely incorrect; it is a marketing strategy to make money. That is why the Desktop UI is not the first to start although people will definitely use it more. Isn't MS satisfied with their office and Windows sales? Why do they need to impose the need to pass throgh the app-store. I will not be developing for Metro unless this restriction is removed and I urge other developers to do the same.

So what do you think users and developers? Do you agree with this Metro app store policy? If futur versions of Windows impose the app store for everything then it is finally time to abandon Windows and move on.

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:11 PM

All replies

• Microsoft should have complete control over what is present in their App Store. However, I would prefer it if Windows had a way to download Metro apps from non-Microsoft websites and a way to install Metro-style apps from a CD (that is, if there are any Metro apps that are actually usable).
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Microsoft should have complete control over what is present in their App Store. However, I would prefer it if Windows had a way to download Metro apps from non-Microsoft websites and a way to install Metro-style apps from a CD (that is, if there are any Metro apps that are actually usable).

Exactly what I would like! Presently in OS X you can chose to install things via the appstore and also side load what you want the traditional installer way. But having total monopoly and enforcing that only the appstore is used is bad.

Nice username, in terms of UI, Windows vista is my favourite.

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Do you have an actual citation for that 30% cut? As far as I'm aware those details are not yet finalised.

However there is a definite benefit, especially for small developers, to having your application available in what is effectively a major retail outlet. It can provide considerably more visibility, thus improving revenues, deal with potentially complex global taxation issues and of course you are freed from having to provide the infrastructure needed to distribute your software yourself.

If you don't agree then you are perfectly able to write standard Windows desktop applications and distribute them using whatever method you feel appropriate.

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Do you have an actual citation for that 30% cut? As far as I'm aware those details are not yet finalised.

However there is a definite benefit, especially for small developers, to having your application available in what is effectively a major retail outlet. It can provide considerably more visibility, thus improving revenues, deal with potentially complex global taxation issues and of course you are freed from having to provide the infrastructure needed to distribute your software yourself.

If you don't agree then you are perfectly able to write standard Windows desktop applications and distribute them using whatever method you feel appropriate.

Yes an MSDN article states it. The details are 80% sure as developers are encouraged to start making apps as soon as possible. And no if this is the case its time to completely migrate to linux. In win8 the lock might only be on metro but in win 9 or something else they might lock the whole thing down. I do not want to develop for such a platform.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Yes an MSDN article states it. The details are 80% sure as developers are encouraged to start making apps as soon as possible. And no if this is the case its time to completely migrate to linux. In win8 the lock might only be on metro but in win 9 or something else they might lock the whole thing down. I do not want to develop for such a platform.

Which MSDN article?

As for developing for Linux instead, that is of course your choice. I'm not sure you'll have the same opportunity to generate revenue when developing software for a platform which has sub 1% usage in the desktop market, but that's up to you.

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:33 PM

• As for developing for Linux instead, that is of course your choice. I'm not sure you'll have the same opportunity to generate revenue when developing software for a platform which has sub 1% usage in the desktop market, but that's up to you.

I think you miss the point. Most of us at one time or another have downloaded open source software. For some, now is the chance to repay that debt and put something back into the system. The enjoyment is in the creation - not the money (that is not to say of course that every program need be open source. No doubt the odd million would come in handy).

Unfortunately I foresee many open source programs being 'modified' and locked into Metro.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:08 AM

• As for developing for Linux instead, that is of course your choice. I'm not sure you'll have the same opportunity to generate revenue when developing software for a platform which has sub 1% usage in the desktop market, but that's up to you.

I develop for linux (Open Source) as a hobby already. However I develop business applications for Windows on contract. I could easily migrate my business applications to linux and set up my client systems with linux instead. Most of them run XP in any case and have no intention of using vista and windows 7 because they are bloated OS's that steal resources and leave less free for running apps. We were however going to switch to Win8 as XP will EOL in 2014. Instead, I could make them shift to linux systems. 

About the MSDN article it was this one http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464912 but MS have removed that part soon after publishing it as stated on the zdnet article.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:55 AM