none
I just installed Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise and when I start new C++ project, I can't #include d3d12.h WHY!?

Question

• I just installed Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise and when I start new C++ project, I can't #include d3d12.h WHY!? DirectX 12 should be available in windows 10 according to what I have read on internet so far! What I did wrong? You must tell me. My purpose to install windows 10 and then Visual Studio 2015 was only for developing DirectX 12 applications and debug them in my PC! Windows 7 is pretty much nicer and more beautiful than windows 10 in my opinion, and I don't need at all what windows 10 offers! I just want to start developing DirectX 12 applications! If I won't be able to do that soon, I will uninstall windows 10 immediately and go back to windows 7!
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to make sure the Windows 10 SDK is installed. Doesn't sound like it is.

I'd re-run the VS 2015 install and make sure the proper developer tools are selected.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:26 PM
  • If I will repair VS 2015, will the DirectX 12 SDK be given to me?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Hi my friend,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

You could repair your VS to have a try.

As Brian said, you should install the Win 10 SDK, at the same time, please check all the Windows update and make sure they are all to the newest.

Because DirectX 12.0 are included in Windows 10, there is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 12.0.

Here is Win 10 SDK download link:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

On my side, my system in Win 10, and VS is 2015 Enterprise, I create the DirectX 12 well.

Please see my screenshot:

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:32 AM
  • If you start a new C++ empty project, after adding some .cpp file to your new empty project, can you #include <d3d12.h>? I am asking this, because I am used to start empty projects and program in Win32 API, my most favorite API ever, and I don't like at all the made up Universal Windows projects.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Hi my friend,

Sorry for my misunderstanding before.

Just as brain said, please install the Win 10 sdk, here is the download link:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Hi my friend,

You are welcome, if you have any other question, please fell free to let us know, we are willing to help you troubleshoot.

Best Regards,

Friday, September 30, 2016 1:25 AM