none
Running a batch file prior to launching Outlook when user launches Outlook. RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario:

User starts their business day by starting their PC, then opening MS Outlook using their Desktop or Program Group Icon.

Is there a way (probably via the Registry) to run a quick batch file prior to the application actually starting?  I need to insure that certain COM Add-ins are enabled prior to the application launching.  The batch file needs to be tied to the Outlook.exe file and run the batch file to modify the appropriate registry settings BEFORE the application actually launches. 

Windows 7 Enterprise X64  SP1

Outlook 2010

Thank you in advance!

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Consider using a Windows service checking LoadBehavior of your add-in in the registry. 

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 7:01 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can do tht without replacing the shortcuts on the desktop and Start menu with a shortcut that launches your batch file but uses the same Outlook icon.
    Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.2 is now available!
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hello,

Consider using a Windows service checking LoadBehavior of your add-in in the registry. 

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 7:01 PM
  • You could try using Application Compatibility Shim (from MS) and create shim for outlook that will add/change necessary registry entries. I have not tried it though, maybe someone from MS could chime in on this.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Hi Cabin,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Did you have solved your issue? It’s based on my experience that Andrei’s replay will make sense. I will mark it. If you feel it can’t help your more, please feel free to unmark it.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, January 27, 2012 7:07 AM