Blob Storage and managed disk with the 12-month free account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am new to Azure. My question is regarding the free products of Azure, because I am at the moment just a learner.

I am reading this FAQ about Azure free 12-month products ( https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/free/free-account-faq/ )

There I read this:

- 128 GB of managed disks ( a combination of two 64 GB (P6) SSD storage, plus 1 GB snapshot and 2 million I/O operation )

- 5 GB of LRS-Hot Blob Storage.

--

I can't understand those two combined.

I mean, if I set up a virtual machine with, say, 30 GB thin provisioned disks, but just the Operating System will take 7 o 8 GB, then how can I ever meet the second point above mentioned ( 5 GB of LRS-Hot Blob Storage ) ?

Thanks in advance.

Luis Olías.

• Edited by Luis O.J Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:37 AM

Answers

• @Luis O.J Apologies for delay in responding here!

When you create a VM, you will have to specify the OS Disk, so, you must select P6 type managed disk. 5GB of LRS Hot Blob storage has to be used separately (not for OS)

In free trial, you get 200 USD.. with this, one can use any service worth it. After this period, only specified services limited to those quotas are available for free and if customer goes beyond that limit, he would be charged

If you see in FAQ page there are 2 options PERIOD OF FREE AVAILABILITY Always free and 12 months. After 30 days.

At the end of your first 30 days, you can continue using your free products after you upgrade your account to a pay-as-you-go pricing and remove the spending limit. If you stay within the service quantities included for free, you will not have to pay anything. The $200 free credit acts as a spending limit.

If you decide not to upgrade at the end of 30 days or once you have used up your $200 credit (whichever happens first), any products you have deployed will be decommissioned and you will not be able to access them. You can always come back within the next 30 days to upgrade your account.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Below are our comments on your ask

• If I create a VM, I must have of course a storage account , and I will be charged for it, regardless of the size and type of that VM ?

Once you are Creating a VM, it needs multiple other components to support the VM like network, Storage, etc. All the resources which are used by the VM would be charged. The network usage and the Storage usages would be charged along with VM charges. Few key points from the document: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/free/free-account-faq/. Customer can use the combination of these free services and bring up his VM. Anything which is exceeding the limits, would be chargeable for customer.

• 750 hours of Azure B1S General Purpose Virtual Machines for Microsoft Windows Server
    • 750 hours of Azure B1S General Purpose Virtual Machines for Linux
    • 5 GB of LRS-Hot Blob Storage with 20,000 read and 10,000 write operations
    • 5 GB of LRS File Storage with 2 million read, 2 million list and 2 million other file operations  
    • 1500 hours of dynamic public IP addresses for use with B1S Virtual Machines listed above     
    • 50 virtual networks free with Azure Virtual Network

• VM is created with 128 GB of managed disk ( a combination of two 64 GB (P6) SSD Storage, plus 1 GB snapshot and 2 million I/O operations ) , then I won't be charged ?

As per the document this is not charged. If customer is crossing the limits, there would be additional charges for you.

IF you still have any questions and they need detailed billing details, they can reach out to billing teams with their questions. Follow the below document to create an Support ticket to Billing team. They will reach you out to directly and address his/her concerns.

Reference for creating the Billing Support ticket : https://github.com/Huachao/azure-content/blob/master/articles/billing-how-to-create-billing-support-ticket.md

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:15 PM

All replies

• @Luis O.J Apologies for delay in responding here!

When you create a VM, you will have to specify the OS Disk, so, you must select P6 type managed disk. 5GB of LRS Hot Blob storage has to be used separately (not for OS)

In free trial, you get 200 USD.. with this, one can use any service worth it. After this period, only specified services limited to those quotas are available for free and if customer goes beyond that limit, he would be charged

If you see in FAQ page there are 2 options PERIOD OF FREE AVAILABILITY Always free and 12 months. After 30 days.

At the end of your first 30 days, you can continue using your free products after you upgrade your account to a pay-as-you-go pricing and remove the spending limit. If you stay within the service quantities included for free, you will not have to pay anything. The $200 free credit acts as a spending limit.

If you decide not to upgrade at the end of 30 days or once you have used up your $200 credit (whichever happens first), any products you have deployed will be decommissioned and you will not be able to access them. You can always come back within the next 30 days to upgrade your account.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue. 

Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Thanks Summanth,

I am now in the pay-as-you-go subscription because the trial ended some weeks ago. Then I heard about the 12-month period with some services for free and I read a Microsoft document to that end.

But I still wonder: If I create a VM, I must have of course a storage account , and I will be charged for it, regardless of the size and type of that VM ? 

Or if the VM is created with 128 GB of managed disk ( a combination of two 64 GB (P6) SSD Storage, plus 1 GB snapshot and 2 million I/O operations ) , then I won't be charged ?

Thanks once again,

Luis.

Luis Olías.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Below are our comments on your ask

• If I create a VM, I must have of course a storage account , and I will be charged for it, regardless of the size and type of that VM ?

Once you are Creating a VM, it needs multiple other components to support the VM like network, Storage, etc. All the resources which are used by the VM would be charged. The network usage and the Storage usages would be charged along with VM charges. Few key points from the document: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/free/free-account-faq/. Customer can use the combination of these free services and bring up his VM. Anything which is exceeding the limits, would be chargeable for customer.

• 750 hours of Azure B1S General Purpose Virtual Machines for Microsoft Windows Server
    • 750 hours of Azure B1S General Purpose Virtual Machines for Linux
    • 5 GB of LRS-Hot Blob Storage with 20,000 read and 10,000 write operations
    • 5 GB of LRS File Storage with 2 million read, 2 million list and 2 million other file operations  
    • 1500 hours of dynamic public IP addresses for use with B1S Virtual Machines listed above     
    • 50 virtual networks free with Azure Virtual Network

• VM is created with 128 GB of managed disk ( a combination of two 64 GB (P6) SSD Storage, plus 1 GB snapshot and 2 million I/O operations ) , then I won't be charged ?

As per the document this is not charged. If customer is crossing the limits, there would be additional charges for you.

IF you still have any questions and they need detailed billing details, they can reach out to billing teams with their questions. Follow the below document to create an Support ticket to Billing team. They will reach you out to directly and address his/her concerns.

Reference for creating the Billing Support ticket : https://github.com/Huachao/azure-content/blob/master/articles/billing-how-to-create-billing-support-ticket.md

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Many thanks for your kind and informative replies !!

Luis Olías.

Friday, December 13, 2019 8:04 AM