none
Client IP logged as 0.0.0.0 but geolocation is logged correctly

Question

• Hi!

I have a web app running in Azure and I'm using Application Insights Analytics to look at the incoming requests. Specifically I look at the client IP and what geolocation it translates to. But... some four days ago the logs started showing client IP as "0.0.0.0" but still translating to a geolocation?!? Some requests were still showing a real IP but now all requests have client IP as "0.0.0.0".

I have no idea what has happened. This is happening across several resource groups and several deployment slots, and I haven't uploaded new versions in this period.

Anybody seeing the same problem or having ideas on what is going on?

/Nikolaj

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi!

I have a web app running in Azure and I'm using Application Insights Analytics to look at the incoming requests. Specifically I look at the client IP and what geolocation it translates to. But... some four days ago the logs started showing client IP as "0.0.0.0" but still translating to a geolocation?!? Some requests were still showing a real IP but now all requests have client IP as "0.0.0.0".

I have no idea what has happened. This is happening across several resource groups and several deployment slots, and I haven't uploaded new versions in this period.

Anybody seeing the same problem or having ideas on what is going on?

/Nikolaj

I am experiencing the same problem. I have not changed anything on the nodes yet it suddenly started showing client ip address as 0.0.0.0

Someone please help!

Thanks,

Mihir

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:35 PM
  • There was a service announcement recently on AI Service blog informing that IP will be zeroed out after AI has extracted Geo location information from it.

This is done to make sure the privacy concerns of AI customers are addressed in light of upcoming GDPR law in EU.

You may still submit IP as a custom property (if required) via Telemetry Initializers available in most AI SDKs, however, this moves responsibility over handling that IP as well.

Dmitry Matveev

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:11 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Dmitry!

That must be it. I'll have to send the IP as a custom property as you suggest.

/Nikolaj

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:51 AM
  • Great answer - just a shame Microsoft fail to let us know before making a change - wastes so much time when you think you've misconfigured something.
    Friday, February 16, 2018 6:02 PM