none
Regarding service adding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am using advance installer tool to create EXE for my java application. using that tool i have created the service but my requirement is while service started the application trayicon should launch in to the windows tray and while stopping the service the trayicon has to be disapper.

I have asked to the advance installer forum they replied that it is not possible to do that using installer.

anybody having idea regarding these issue.

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:00 PM

Answers

• Hi sabarimanoj,

Based on you description, I understand that you're creating a setup package for a java application and you will install it as a windows service, correct?

If this is the case, I'm afraid the show and hide tray icon feature is not what setup program can do. Because setup package simply helps you do some pre/post task during the application's installation on the target machine. For you case, the show/hide system tray icon feature should belong to the java application service itself (since user might stop and start it at any time or for multiple times every day..). In .NET, we can use the certain windows form class to show system tray icon.

#Placing Your C# Application in the System Tray
    http://www.codeguru.com/csharp/.net/net_general/systeminformation/article.php/c6933/Placing-Your-C-Application-in-the-System-Tray.htm

Since the application you mentioned is built via java, I think you need to post this question to some java service/app related dev forums for more ideas. In case you also need more information about how to dealing with setup program or system tray icon programming for .NET application, you can have a look at the windows form forums:

#Windows Forms General
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/threads

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:32 AM

All replies

• HI,

Using advanced installer  I am adding  my application to the windows  service.  while doing so  with the support  of  batch files  i am adding  tray icon. But the tray icon is not displayed in the  tray. ( when  the batch file is run independent  the tray icon gets launched into the windows tray).  The exact requirement is  when a app is installed  the tray icon should  be launched in the windows  tray , when the application service is stopped the icon should disappear from the tray and when service started the icon should be displayed.

Advanced installer informed us that  they don't support  batch file execution for service activities.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Hi sabarimanoj,

Based on you description, I understand that you're creating a setup package for a java application and you will install it as a windows service, correct?

If this is the case, I'm afraid the show and hide tray icon feature is not what setup program can do. Because setup package simply helps you do some pre/post task during the application's installation on the target machine. For you case, the show/hide system tray icon feature should belong to the java application service itself (since user might stop and start it at any time or for multiple times every day..). In .NET, we can use the certain windows form class to show system tray icon.

#Placing Your C# Application in the System Tray
    http://www.codeguru.com/csharp/.net/net_general/systeminformation/article.php/c6933/Placing-Your-C-Application-in-the-System-Tray.htm

Since the application you mentioned is built via java, I think you need to post this question to some java service/app related dev forums for more ideas. In case you also need more information about how to dealing with setup program or system tray icon programming for .NET application, you can have a look at the windows form forums:

#Windows Forms General
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/threads

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:32 AM