Monday, December 3, 2007 12:59 PM

Answers

•  

To start accessing your TechNet benefits:

1. Go to: 
      https://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/
      manage
    2. Log in with your Window Passport or Live ID and Password
    3. Associate your TechNet subscription to your Passport or Live ID (Note:  this step is critical to accessing your benefits)

This should take you to the Subscriptions Management Page where you can access all of your TechNet Plus Benefits.

Note: The first time you access the Benefits Portal you will need the following information to register on the site:

• TechNet Subscriber ID number
    • First Name
    • Last Name
    • E-mail Address
    Monday, December 3, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:06 AM

All replies

•  

To start accessing your TechNet benefits:

1. Go to: 
      https://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/
      manage
    2. Log in with your Window Passport or Live ID and Password
    3. Associate your TechNet subscription to your Passport or Live ID (Note:  this step is critical to accessing your benefits)

This should take you to the Subscriptions Management Page where you can access all of your TechNet Plus Benefits.

Note: The first time you access the Benefits Portal you will need the following information to register on the site:

• TechNet Subscriber ID number
    • First Name
    • Last Name
    • E-mail Address
    Monday, December 3, 2007 4:56 PM
  • After spending all day on the phone with Microsoft and being transferred around for several hours,

it appears that there are quite a number of things that are not explained anywhere that you just have to know.

First, there are three levels of Technet:  SA which stands for "Software Assurance", Technet Plus, and Technet Direct.

There are even several levels within these levels.  What these levels are, I have no idea.

Anyway, the deal is that when you log into technet.microsoft.com, technet should automatically detect which level you

have paid for.  In my case, it did not work because Microsoft had not given me the correct version of Technet.  Here is how it is supposed to work.

1. You read about the different levels of Technet and decide which one you want.  I do not know where to do this.  I just randomly chose Technet Plus Single User because it was cheap.
    2. You call your reseller and buy it.  They send the order to Microsoft. 
    3. If you are a volume license customer (I am), then a section is added in licensing.microsoft.com under "Software Assurance Benefits" which should be "Technet Plus".  In my case, it only says "Technet SA Subscription Services".  I did not know what SA meant, but apparently it means "Software Assurance."  Why, I do not know.
    4. You would activate this benefit and receive a Benefit Access Number (BAN) which is a personal code that allows you to access the service.  Because Microsoft did not enable Technet Plus in licensing.microsoft.com, I could not access Technet Direct and kept seeing links enticing me to upgrade to Technet Plus, which I had already purchased.

The whole system is ridiculously convoluted, and I am not even sure that anyone at Microsoft understands it.

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Hi Harold,

We have been working to provide documentation on the TechNet Software Assurance benefits and the TechNet Plus subscription program.  For more information, please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/technet_plus.mspx

or http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/7/1/e716ed8c-c1da-4f1f-b065-0c498c7c8fa0/technetplus_guide.pdf 

I apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused you.

Kathy

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Thank you for the link.    After reading it, it appears that the situation is even more complicated than I originally thought.  Software Assurance is yet another separate program with several levels.  Neither Software Assurance nor the several levels of it are described.  There is a tantalizing description, though, that depending on the level you have, you might get a free license  of Technet Direct.  This is impossible to verify, because there is no description of SA or which level of SA you would need to get this free license of Technet.

Then, you can either purchase Technet directly (not to be confused with Technet Direct, which itself is not described), or through SA.  But this isn't described either.

However, it is good at least to know that I have purchased Technet Plus, which appears to have a lot of features, even though I can't access it after six months of trying.

The worst part, though, is the convoluted site, licensing.microsoft.com.  Very hard to
    navigate if you have no idea what everything means, and I'm not sure anyone does.

Software Assurance, Volume Licensing, Technical Support, and Technet are all
    separate divisions in Microsoft who know nothing about what the other ones do,
    and like to keep transfering you around in circles.  I think I talked to the same person about
    three times today after being transferred around.

I think Microsoft could possibly try to streamline and explain this ridiculously complicated process.
    After all, I'm just trying to evaluate the products for potential purchase.

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Hi Harold,

I'd love to assit with your issue.  Can you please advise what the error you are experiencing is?

- Kathy

Friday, December 7, 2007 12:18 AM
  • I contacted my reseller, who logged in and fixed the problem for me after
    himself spending several hours on the phone with Microsoft.

The whole process is labyrinthine, and makes the game of Adventure seem
    crystal clear.   It seems like when a company buys a copy of Office, they get
    something called "Software Assurance", or SA, and this comes with a copy
    of Technet, albeit a low level of it.  Somehow, after several months of flailing,
    I got a hold of my Benefit Access number (BAN) to this lower level of Technet.

Then, when I associated my Passport with this BAN, I kept getting reminders
    that my life would be better if I upgraded to Technet Plus, which I had already
    purchased.

Microsoft kept transferring me around in circles on the phones, because no
    one knew how to get me a BAN for Technet Plus.

I complained to my reseller, and got a flurry of emails with a bunch of different
    numbers on them.  One of them was a "Subscriber ID", which is code for
    BAN, of course.

Then my reseller fixed the problem.  So now I can use Technet Plus.

Thanks for your help.  I hope you all run focus groups on this so Microsoft
    begins to understand people's difficulty here.

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:03 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:06 AM