How to set up auditing RRS feed

• Question

• I am a system admin for all member servers, I am wanting to know how to setup tracking/ auditing of sql database changes from sql admins? Are there any Microsoft configurations, free tools, etc that will allow me to configure such an auditing scheme?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hello Jedi,

You can enable SQL server audit with management studio , no other tools are required. please see below link it may help you to create audit for the DB/Server level.

SQL Server – Auditing Schema Changes using DDL Triggers

Please mark me as answer if my post resolves your issue.

Br

ChetanV 

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:44 PM
  • I am a system admin for all member servers, I am wanting to know how to setup tracking/ auditing of sql database changes from sql admins? Are there any Microsoft configurations, free tools, etc that will allow me to configure such an auditing scheme?

What versions of SQL Server are being looked at? SQL Server built-in audit specification comes at two levels i.e. Server Audit and Database audit. It seems from your question that you might want to go with "Database Audit".

Please note that "Database Audit" feature is supported by all editions starting SQL Server 2016 SP1 only. If you have instances that are lower than SQL 2016 then they got to be Enterprise/Developer edition to leverage the DB audit feature.

Server Audit, on the other hand, should be supported by all editions. 

See this link to know how to set it up.

You might also want to look at other built-in features that might help you with your need:

Extended Events

Server Side Trace 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hello Jedi,

You can enable SQL server audit with management studio , no other tools are required. please see below link it may help you to create audit for the DB/Server level.

SQL Server – Auditing Schema Changes using DDL Triggers

Please mark me as answer if my post resolves your issue.

Br

ChetanV 

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Thanks we will look into this.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:04 PM

What versions of SQL Server are being looked at? SQL Server built-in audit specification comes at two levels i.e. Server Audit and Database audit. It seems from your question that you might want to go with "Database Audit".

Please note that "Database Audit" feature is supported by all editions starting SQL Server 2016 SP1 only. If you have instances that are lower than SQL 2016 then they got to be Enterprise/Developer edition to leverage the DB audit feature.

Server Audit, on the other hand, should be supported by all editions. 

See this link to know how to set it up.

You might also want to look at other built-in features that might help you with your need:

Extended Events

Server Side Trace 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:38 PM
  • It is sql 2014, I will look at this information. Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:21 PM