SQLAgentOperatorRole RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a question regarding SQLAgentOperatorRole.

I found the information from

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188283.aspx

"SQLAgentOperatorRole members can enable or disable local jobs they do not own by using the stored procedure sp_update_job and specifying values for the @enabled and the @job_id (or @job_name) parameters. If a member of this role specifies any other parameters for this stored procedure, execution of the procedure will fail."

Can any one tell me what does it means, beacuse i found that member of SQLAgentOperatorRole (which are not member of sysadmin fix server role) are able to enable/desable any local job (owned and non owned)

Thanks,

Mohd

Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:57 PM

Answers

• Mohd..

Users in this role can enable or disable the all the jobs irrespective of owner. The user can enable or disable the jobs through GUI or T-SQL. If you are going to perform using T-SQL then you need to use sp_update_job proc in msdb database. The user can only make use of enabled parameter so that he \ she is allowed to perform enable or disable.

With sp_update_job procedure you are allowed to do some more things, lets say you can rename the job.. However when the user exists in SQLAgentOperatorRole role cannot rename (@new_name parameter) or use other parameter of the procedure, only allowed parameter is @enabled.

Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:25 AM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:57 PM

All replies

• I dont see any difference in two statements that you have mentioned . For the jobs owned by SQLoperatorrole - they can enable / disable the job straightaway and for the jobs that are not owned they have to use the stored procs - summing them up anyway conveys that this role can DISABLE \ ENABLE all the local jobs irrelevant of their owenrship( only the method differs)

Thanks, Leks
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Hi Lekss,

Thanks for replying.

What i am trying to say here is

I found that the jobs that are not owned by SQLoperatorrole can also be enable / disable straightaway without using the stored procs.

Please let me know if this question is still not clear to you/all then i would like to make it more clear for you all.

Thanks,

Mohd

Monday, April 5, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Hi All,

Any update in this????????????????

Thanks,

Mohd

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Mohd..

Users in this role can enable or disable the all the jobs irrespective of owner. The user can enable or disable the jobs through GUI or T-SQL. If you are going to perform using T-SQL then you need to use sp_update_job proc in msdb database. The user can only make use of enabled parameter so that he \ she is allowed to perform enable or disable.

With sp_update_job procedure you are allowed to do some more things, lets say you can rename the job.. However when the user exists in SQLAgentOperatorRole role cannot rename (@new_name parameter) or use other parameter of the procedure, only allowed parameter is @enabled.

• Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:25 AM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hi Vidya Sagar,

Thats what i can see but after reding the permissions in

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188283.aspx

i was just confuse that why they are putting Yes 3 insted of simply putting yes. Any ways if this the case then now it is clear to me, this thread can be closed thanks a lot

Thabks,

Mohd

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Mohd.. Thats just a information to know the readers that the same can be done via T-SQL. That's y they have given the procedure name and the parameter to be used, you can find the same for schedule disable or enable option.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:57 PM