locked
Update from CTP2 to VS Update 2 fails RRS feed

  • Question

  • The Project works fine in VS 2012 CTP2. We have updated our LS solution to CTP2, but we don´t us the HTML Client. We just tried this for some tests.

    When we now tried to Update the solution to VS Update 2 the Visual Studio crashes:

    Application: devenv.exe

    Framework Version: v4.0.30319

    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

    Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException

    Stack:

       at Microsoft.LightSwitch.VSIntegration.Project.RootProject.RootProjectNode+<>c__DisplayClass42.<UpgradeProject>b__40()

       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)

       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

    Any Ideas, who to solve this issue?

    Kind regards Matthias

    Monday, June 17, 2013 2:31 PM

All replies

  • Not sure if you're still seeing this issue, but we were running into the exact same problem with upgrading our project and it turned out to be a simple thing, but it took us the better part of a day to track it down.

    We used a shared .cs file with Assembly Manifest Attributes (e.g. AssemblyTitle, AssemblyCompany, etc.) across all the sub-projects of the parent LightSwitch project (as well as some other non-LS projects) and for whatever reason, the upgrade produced updated project files that choked VS on this configuration the LS project was.

    To get past this problem we simply removed all project references to the shared file in our LS sub-projects, and ran the upgrade and everything came out perfect.

    Not sure if you have a similar situation, but if not, try to look for any configuration or settings in your LS project that are non-standard or might be unusual or out of the ordinary.  My guess is the upgrade process chokes on these kind of situations and produces bad project files.

    Good Luck!
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:11 PM
  • Oh BTW, for what it's worth, after the upgrade we were able to successfully restore our shared assembly manifest attributes file arrangement (this time, with only the Server and Client projects, since Common is now removed from the sub-project structure), and it works as expected.

    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:41 PM