Cannot Sign in with Live ID Clean Installation

Question

• I cannot get the Live ID working with a clean install.

If I enter the correct password, I get the message "Cannot contact the Windows Live online service.  You can continue now to create a user name to log on to this pc..."

I enter a bad password, I get the message "This password doesn't match.  If you don't remember it, create a local account now..." immediately - so I know the authentication part is working.

Any help is appreciated - I know the password is right, as I've signed into this site and my Live Mail today and haven't changed my password in about two months.

Monday, December 05, 2011 7:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Lyle,

you may create a local account now and get all your updates, later you can try to add your Live Id. WDP gives you 3 options for logging in- Live ID, Picture Password and Pin Log on. Please start with either of the other two, or both, later you can add your ID once the system has stabilized and you have all the drivers in place.

Irfan
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Hi Irfanfare,

Even after creating a local account - I still cannot add my Live Id - I receive the same error.

I can reproduce this consistently - "Steven - Support Engineer" - you can look me up in the Microsoft GAL to do screen sharing to replicate this.

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:41 PM
  • PIN Logon (and probably Picture Password too) does not work in Active Directory environment.

Lyle, are you sure your password is less or equal to 16 characters? While web login via live.com allows logons with long passwords, other types of logon will fail. Or are you talking about elevating applications using your WLID credentials? I could not elevate my executables using my WLID account...

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Hi Lyle,

I presume you have tried logging in with another live Id, if not, why not give it a try ?

Irfan
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hey everyone,

I was able to chat with Lyle and we found that the problem was isolated to a specific Windows Live account that had special associations. After using a different Windows Live account he was able to connect without any problems.

Steven
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:16 AM
  •  

I was able to chat with Lyle and we found that the problem was isolated to a specific Windows Live account that had special associations. After using a different Windows Live account he was able to connect without any problems.

Steven
    So, Steven, I guess that makes my last reply to Lyle, an Answer, right ?

Irfan
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hey Irfan,

Definitely! I've marked the response above as answer.

Steven
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:19 AM