none
biztalk server RRS feed

• Question

• plz let me know that what is the difference between an EAI and an EDI application in biztalk servers?
    sushil sahu
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:19 AM

Answers

• Sushil,

EAI stands for Enterprise application integration, is the process for integrating disperate applications within a single organization in order to simplify and automate business process.

On the other hand, EDI stands for Electronic Data interchange, is the structured transmission of data between various organizations by electronic means. Generally used in B2B scenario.

BizTalk server has the capability to develop both EAI and EDI applications.

rgds,

Abhijit

Abhijit Mahato - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 - MCTS BizTalk Server blog: http://abhijitmahato.wordpress.com/ Please "Mark as Answer" if Post has Answered the Question
    • Marked as answer by sushil sahu Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:56 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi Sushil,

EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) is defined as the use of software and computer systems architectural principles to integrate a set of enterprise computer applications. EDI (Electronic Digital Interchange) is the structured transmission of data between organizations by electronic means. It is used to transfer electronic documents or business data from one computer system to another computer system, i.e. from one trading partner to another trading partner without human intervention. BizTalk Server provides connectivity between core systems both inside and outside your organization (EAI or IEI = Inter Enterprise Integration). In addition to integration functionality, BizTalk also provides strong durable messaging, a rules engine, EDI connectivity, Business Activity Monitoring (BAM), RFID capabilities and IBM Host/Mainframe connectivity. For reference see BizTalk website. In general I think you need to read this white paper for starters called Understanding BizTalk Server.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Sushil,

I hope you got the difference between EAI and EDI applications from Steef and Abhijit. If you want to explore more, you can go through the EAI and EDI tutorials from the below link.

BizTalk tutorials for EAI and EDI.
    Thanks, Mahesh
    • Marked as answer by sushil sahu Friday, July 22, 2011 7:10 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:50 AM

All replies

• Sushil,

EAI stands for Enterprise application integration, is the process for integrating disperate applications within a single organization in order to simplify and automate business process.

On the other hand, EDI stands for Electronic Data interchange, is the structured transmission of data between various organizations by electronic means. Generally used in B2B scenario.

BizTalk server has the capability to develop both EAI and EDI applications.

rgds,

Abhijit

Abhijit Mahato - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 - MCTS BizTalk Server blog: http://abhijitmahato.wordpress.com/ Please "Mark as Answer" if Post has Answered the Question
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi Sushil,

EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) is defined as the use of software and computer systems architectural principles to integrate a set of enterprise computer applications. EDI (Electronic Digital Interchange) is the structured transmission of data between organizations by electronic means. It is used to transfer electronic documents or business data from one computer system to another computer system, i.e. from one trading partner to another trading partner without human intervention. BizTalk Server provides connectivity between core systems both inside and outside your organization (EAI or IEI = Inter Enterprise Integration). In addition to integration functionality, BizTalk also provides strong durable messaging, a rules engine, EDI connectivity, Business Activity Monitoring (BAM), RFID capabilities and IBM Host/Mainframe connectivity. For reference see BizTalk website. In general I think you need to read this white paper for starters called Understanding BizTalk Server.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Sushil,

I hope you got the difference between EAI and EDI applications from Steef and Abhijit. If you want to explore more, you can go through the EAI and EDI tutorials from the below link.

BizTalk tutorials for EAI and EDI.
    Thanks, Mahesh
    • Marked as answer by sushil sahu Friday, July 22, 2011 7:10 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:50 AM