Lines per page RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services and all my reports preview with many more pages, as the preview will show Page 1 of 20, but if I print the report I get say 12 pages.   The reports are always correct, but the preview show less data per page?  Is there a way to get the preview to be what is going to print out?

This occurs in MS Visual Studio 2005 also as well as from the web.  On a drill down report I get on some reports only 10 line when the print out will have 30 lines perpage

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Do you have an "insert page break" before/after a particular table/grouping/item on the page?

Also check page size and interactive page size.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:18 PM
  • To adolf:

"Insert page break" would affect the printed version as well.  This has to be the interactive height.

To the original poster:

If you set your interactive height and width you should get pretty much the same result in the interactive page rendering as the printed rendering (look in the Properties window, on the Report level, for this, and look after Layout if you have the items set to sort "categorized").  It may still be *slightly* different in terms of pagination, because the renderers may handle line spacing or other aspects of the layout slightly* differently, so don't count on it being 100% the same every time.

>L<

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:26 PM
  • we have some similar problem, a little diffirent, we just need accurate paging such as 20 lines /page , and sorting.

so we have added the page break after group. the paging is ok; but we found out this harm the sorting function. The sorting was only happened in every group.

do you have some clue with this?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:52 AM
  • What is the group on?  What is the sorting on?  Give me some idea of your data set up and I will try to help.

>L<

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!

It' a very common scenario. ;-) The normal long list report, row by row.

Customer want to have accurate paging and they can sort by click the title of the according column.

They also want to know the current page number like ‘p3 / 12 pages’

Thanks,

Bob.zhao

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:33 AM
  • No, you said "page break after group".  What is your group expression? What does the page break have to do with the sorting problem?  And, since you are using interactive sort, what scope did you pick for the sort?

Current page of pages, you can do as long as you don't want the page numbers for each group.  Basically something like

Code Block

="Page " & Globals!PageNumber & " of " & Globals!TotalPages

If you  want page numbers within groups, it becomes a big production .  See http://spacefold.com/lisa/post/Reset-On-Group-(Page-X-of-XX-in-a-group%2c-within-a-total-Y-of-YY-for-the-report)%2c-SQL-Reporting-Services-Style-.aspx

>L<

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:51 AM
  •  

Thanks a lot for your reply.

we can forget about group.

The requirement is : common long table report, need accurate paging and interactive sorting both.

Need to show the page number also. But dis-like dynamic paging by the DB.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:00 AM
  • You should be okay for the page number with what I wrote last time.

If you want a "long table report" in the interactive version, you can create a long interactive page size (height).  Will that do?

>L<

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:39 AM
  • because user want to read from the web, so they need accurate paging to devide the long search result. I know that just identify the 'height' can't get the accurate paging.

So I come here to look for help.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:54 AM
  • The question is what you mean by "accurate" paging.  If "accurate" paging is supposed to mean "the same thing as printed pages when I am in the interactive page", I don't think you are ever going to get that and it may not even be a reasonable expectation when you add in the little symbols for interactive sorting (which don't even appear in the printed output). 

The renderers are different. The output is different.  Each page number is "accurate" for its rendition, but  this value is not necessarily translatable to other output targets. 

Different versions of some fonts for display and print don't even kern or handle lineheight exactly the same way.

>L<

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:19 AM
  • No such Complex requirement, just satisfy 200 records/ page is OK.  And customer want to generate the complete report while export to excel file.

I found out the page break will break the result into multi-Sheet

This is one internal project of MS.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:40 AM
  •  

No page breaks after a group....

It really only seems to happen with drill-down reports and it I change the page orientation the page count is still the same on web -preview!

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:00 PM