Proper way to install updates to SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

When applying new service pack or updates, what should be the best practice?  I used to stop all SQL services before running the setup program.  This practice seemed to do the job so far but is it the right method?

I would appreciate your comment on this.

Thanks again for helping,

Stéphane

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You don’t have to stop any SQL Server services. It’s better to let SQL Server setup to start and stop the services as required.

Please read about best practices when you install updates to SQL Server on the following post:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/beatrice/archive/2009/02/10/best-practices-for-installing-sql-server-service-packs-hotfixes-cumulative-updates.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stéphane B. _ Friday, June 7, 2013 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

I am agree with Alberto’s suggestion. Additionally, there is an example about installing the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack (SP1): Steps to Install SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Thanks
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Alberto, Sofiya,

Thanks for your replies. I got a close attention at the articles you've put in reference. They seems at first site to answer my questions.  Next, I think it will just be to experience eventual upgrade(s).  I've already installed SPs on SQL 2008 in the past but prefer to make sure it was done properly.

I'm now installing SQL 2012.  I first had to get my computer rebuilt from scratch because of problems while trying to uninstall SQL 2008 R2.  Long story...  I intend to install SP1 right away as it is already available.  If anyone had some more infos regarding upgrades on SQL 2012 specifically please let me know.  If not I will consider this case closed.

Thanks again to everyone.

Stéphane

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hello,

I created this article as recommendation to apply a service pack, you may find it useful:

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/Tips0014.htm  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:10 PM