Adding an App in the main Metro GUI. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if there is a way for us to add an optional browser app, in the main GUI interface.?, e.g. i wanted to use firefox instead of IE, so that I don't have to go to the desktop in order to access it. I tried installing other softwares such as winrar, then i noticed, there is an additional app already added in the main GUI, but why is it then when I install a browser, the app is not automatically available in the main GUI screen.?

Any answers will be much appreciated,

Cheers,

ninjai808

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:24 AM

Answers

• Yes!

Anything you install can be pinned.  Simply hit the windows button (or bring up the charms menu and search by using a swipe gesture from the right side) then start typing the name of the program (say notepad for example).  The program will appear on the left.   Select a tile by right clicking it or selecting it with your finger (tap and drag downwards) and click pin. You should see it at the end of your tiles now.  You can drag it to the front if you wish!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:00 PM
  • You cannot

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:31 PM

All replies

• Yes!

Anything you install can be pinned.  Simply hit the windows button (or bring up the charms menu and search by using a swipe gesture from the right side) then start typing the name of the program (say notepad for example).  The program will appear on the left.   Select a tile by right clicking it or selecting it with your finger (tap and drag downwards) and click pin. You should see it at the end of your tiles now.  You can drag it to the front if you wish!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Thanks mate, that is really helpful.!
    Friday, September 30, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Hey,

Can you tell me how to pin an application like Excel or Word to Metro start screen through script.

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:06 AM
  • bump

same question here....can we pin extra software to metro with a script.

or remove pinned software form metro....

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:34 AM
  • You cannot

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:31 PM
  • That is not true, you can if your script is running as administrator. Essentially all you have to do is create a shortcut to the exe you want to pin to start and copy that shortcut to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. here is a link to a stack overflow article discussing how to do this using vb scripts or powershell: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/346107/creating-a-shortcut-for-a-exe-from-a-batch-file
    Monday, December 10, 2012 2:37 PM