2 PCs over LAN, both XP, External DHCP - Cannot connect by name (Remote Desktop) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have two pcs connected to a switch which is then connected to a
    modem. I have two IPs provided by my provider so each computer has a
    direct connection to the internet.

As a result they both have different IPs, and are on different
    gateways.

I have enabled netbios on both and I can transfer files at alarmingly
    high speeds over the gigabit connection. I can see both computers in
    network neighborhood and can map networked drives.

However, when I try to connect to one or the other through remote desktop using the computer
    name it does not work (cannot find the computer). If I put the IP in,
    it is extremely slow and makes it hard to use (as I am assuming it is
    going out into the world then bouncing back and not using the
    advantage of the LAN).

How can I solve this issue and connect via remote desktop using the same high speed
    connection I use to transfer files?

Thanks.

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:56 PM

All replies

•  

Do you know how the two PCs are resolving their names to IP address? Are they going to your provider or can you see if they are in your local cache? Also you could make an entry into each of the host files on the PCs to help resolve name to IP address.

Michael

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:53 PM
  •  

Hi Michael,

The problem is not that I want to connect by name - the problem is it is slow by IP. I want remote desktop to connect to the other PC using the same high speed method file transfers in explorer do, and the only difference I can note is that in explorer I am doing it via the name and remote desktop does not recognize the name.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:06 AM
  • As I understand your problem, that when you go to connect to the other computer using Remote Desktop using the computer name it does not work. When you use the IP address of the computer it works; however, the connection is slow. Is this correct?

In Remote Desktop you can specifiy the connection speed that you want to use to connect to the other computer. When you start Remote Desktop, there is an opitions button at the bottom right. Click this button and navigate to the Experience tab. There you can tell Remote Desktop what speed you want to connect at. If you are still having problems then we need to look at your network settings.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:33 PM