How can I format my connection string to work with my Godaddy site? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1757935082 posted

Hi, I’ve deployed my site to the Godaddy hosting and now I have a huge problem with the formatting of the connection string or so I believe.  I’m using Web Developer 2012 Express.  The connection string on my machine works fine and looks like this:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ApplicationServices"

connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|MyDatabase.mdf;User Instance=true"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

After I deployed the site I changed the connection to the one provided to me by Godaddy.  Here it is:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ApplicationServices"

Data Source=MyDatabase.db.11111111.hostedresource.com; Initial Catalog=MyDatabase; User ID=MyDatabase; Password='myDatabasePassword';

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

The default page loads but when I click on a tab to navigate to another page it stalls then after a while it loads an error page but no description so I’m at a lost.

I’ve tried for days and tried getting help from Godaddy but they can’t help so I thought I would turn to this forum. 

Outside of my local environment is there a specific way that I should format my connection string?  Please help me get my connection string going.  Thanks for any help with this one.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Does the default page include database calls? If so, the connection string must be working. When you get an error page with no description, what does the text on the page actually say? It must say something for you to recognise it as an error page.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:43 AM
  • User13850534 posted

Have you ever attached your sql express database to godaddy sql server? If they only support full version sql server, you have to attach your express database to their sql server first.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:11 AM
  • User-1635195291 posted

Hi AlexanderBlade,

Please refer the links below:

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jatin

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:04 PM
  • User-1757935082 posted

No i don't think that I attached it.. How do i do an attachment?. thanks for helping.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:32 AM
  • User-1757935082 posted

I’ve been trying to connect to the Godaddy server using SQL Server Management Studio. In the Connect to Server dialog box, I tried the following:

Server: MyServerName.db.someNumber.hostedresource.com

Godaddy has this as the host name or the name of the server that the database is on.

Server Type: Database Engine

Authentication: SQL Server Authentication

Got an error message that the server could not be found.. Also tried pinging and it timed out.. Tried www and http in front of server name but got  the same error.. Is there maybe something I need to enable on my machine?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:28 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Alexander

AlexanderBlade

Got an error message that the server could not be found.. Also tried pinging and it timed out.. Tried www and http in front of server name but got  the same error.. Is there maybe something I need to enable on my machine?

For this issue, you could check the connection strings for my application's database in Goddaddy, at the same time you can also consult your host provider( Goddaddy ) for help, I think they can give more precise troubleshooting,

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:38 AM