VPN in windows : Simple tunnel driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I suppose I'm in a right place for such kind of question.As you can predict from the title of my question I would like to write simple driver along with user mode application as a part of the system which can act like virtual private network.I have already read some articles about this and of course checked out OpenVPN project but I find it very difficult to understand since I am on start with these stuff.

I have also examined some link layer protocols (IPSec, PPTP...) used in VPN.Which one of them is suitable for development in windows?Lets consider there will be no security since this is just basic one and test-purpose small project.

So I am asking you for help to show me some directions, basic terms or even simplest source code to start with in order to develop simple device driver which can be used on both machines in order to communicate over internet.

Can I use here tap/tun interfaces since a lot of articles on the internet are covered for UNIX platform only?

I don't ask for complicated stuff like remote control and alike just to be able to pass messages between machines which are behind NAT or routers.

I really want to learn how these stuff work since I am pretty amazed with architecture of VPN and similar technologies.

Client application should not be a problem and I think I will manage to develop it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Civa
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:18 PM