none
Printers and RemoteFX USB Redirection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I want to redirect printers to a 2012R2 Server with the RemoteFX USB redirection. (I know Easy Print is the preferred method but I do need the USB redirection)

I can't make appear the USB printer in the Remote Desktop "Other Supported RemoteFX USB devices" category.

I followed intructions of the KB2653326 article and I added my printer GUID in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\Client\UsbSelectDeviceByInterfaces.

Note: I already applied with success this method for mass storage devices

Is it possible to redirected printers with RemoteFX USB redirection?

Regards

Vincent

Monday, September 22, 2014 10:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Vincent, thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, September 22, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Please find more information about this issue.

I tested with two printers: HP Laserjet 1020 and HP Laserjet P4014n.

For the HP Laserjet P4014n, in the device manager:
     - This printer is listed in the "IEEE 1284.4 device" category.
     - And it appears as 'DOT4 USB Printing Support'

From the device manager I got the the GUID of its class interface.

I added this information both:
      - In regedit HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\Client\UsbSelectDeviceByInterfaces
      - And in the ".RDP" file (usbdevicestoredirect:s:{48721b56-6795-11d2-b1a8-0080c72e74a2})

But still doesnt work.

With the HP Laserjet 1020, the GUID of the class interface is {4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.
    I did the same in regedit and .RDP file. But still doesn't work.

I hope this will help you.

Regards

Vincent

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Hi Vincent.

I tested this on a local system here.  To obtain the correct GUID, I went to Device Manager (right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Device Manager).  From Device Manager, I located my printer and (via right-click) selected Properties then Details.  On the Details page, I selected the property Class Guid, which gave me “{4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}”, the same as you are using.  Then, per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653326, I created “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\Client\UsbSelectDeviceByInterfaces\2000” (REG_SZ) “{4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}” – where the string name “2000” can be anything unique.

What I suspect may have happened is the following: you must set the GPEdit property:

-- Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Remote Desktop Services, Remote Desktop Connection Client, RemoteFX USB Device Redirection and edit the setting “Allow RDP redirection of other supported RemoteFX USB devices from this computer” to “Select Enabled and then specify Administrators and Users”

AND *reboot* the machine *before* you ever connect the device (printer).  Adding the group policy will insert the USB filter driver TSUSBFLT.SYS to your local system’s USB stack.  Rebooting the machine will ensure that the filter driver is loaded at boot-time.  Then it will see the DeviceAdd when it is plugged in and will know how to handle it.  Also see my notes at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2012/05/24/hitchhiker-s-guide-to-debugging-rdp-protocols-part-1-ms-rdpeusb.aspx (which is a tad out-of-date but worth-while as a reference)

I will also point anyone reading this of the discussion at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/89cdc664-bbe3-4ae7-aad9-f5ef18b46eb3/msrdpeusbpdf-usb-dvdcdrom-drives-cant-be-redirected?forum=os_windowsprotocols regarding using [MS-RDPEUSB] for devices where there exists a higher-level protocol to redirect a given device.  In this case, [MS-RDPEPC]: “Remote Desktop Protocol: Print Virtual Channel Extension” would be a more-appropriate protocol to redirect this printer.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Bryan

Thank you for your response.

But, I already did what you suggested. To be honnest, I'm familiar with the procedure to add 'non-standard' device for RemoteFX USB redirection (such as smartcard reader, memstick...).

I have only this issue with printers. There is no way for me to make it appears in the Remote Desktop "Other Supported RemoteFX USB devices" category.

This morning I also tested with a PC 'RDP client' running Win8.1. (My former tests were with my own Win7 PC). But still the same. No way to have the USB printer listed as a Remote FX device in Remote Desktop Software.

This is not a big issue. But I was just curious to experience the Printer Remote FX USB redirection with a PC. (It already works with our thin clients)

Regards

Vincent

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

In my test, I built up a fresh Windows 8.1 Professional box and grabbed the first random printer I could find; in my case a HP CP2025n and it worked.  By “worked”, I mean that it showed up in MSTSC’s dialog: Show Options, Local resources, Local devices and resources “More” under “Other supported RemoteFX USB devices”.  I did not actually follow-through with actually connecting to a remote system.

It only shows up if the device is plugged in and on (I cite this because as I look at MSTSC this morning, the printer does not show up but it is also disconnected today, too)

I documented the steps I took more for the benefit of other forum readers as I am aware that you know this process well.  In particular, I will re-cite that I set the Group Policy enabling USB redirected devices and rebooted BEFORE I ever plugged in the printer to the system the first time.  I seem to recall that this was an issue at one time.

My experience would indicate that the answer to “Is it possible to redirected printers with RemoteFX USB redirection” is Yes insofar as “[is there a] way for me to make it appears in the Remote Desktop "Other Supported RemoteFX USB devices" category”.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Thank you Bryan for this information.

Regards

Vincent

• Marked as answer by vincent dedieu Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:44 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:43 AM