none
VS2015 Upgrade 2 problem

Question

• Hi All,

I'm running Windows 10 and have the VS2015 Community edition. I'm currently developing a UWP app and have just moved to Upgrade 2 from Upgrade 1. Now, every time I open a Xaml file in my UWP project, the designer crashes with the following error:

System.Exception
    Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation.

Windows cannot install package 712eb32c-ba45-4ecd-af5f-31b437b6662a because this package depends on another package that couldn't be found. This package requires minimum version 14.0.23918.0 of framework Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug published by CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US to install; the frameworks with name Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug available to the user are Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry, IServiceProvider serviceOverrides)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClass10_0`1.<StartTask>b__0()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

This is very weird as it only seems to affect UWP projects, the designer in WPF projects is (so far) unaffected.

I've seen another similar problem in the forums with the Xaml designer after Upgrade 2 but not this one. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Tuesday, April 05, 2016 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2016 10:15 AM

Answers

• So after suffering with this exact same problem for the last 24 hours, I have managed to solve it.

As above, numerous repairs, etc did not help.

I noticed in 'Apps & features' that there were many apps with the title    

NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode

They appear to be remnants from apps deployed by Visual Studio on the local machine.  I suspect they were also the cause of some package conflicts, although I don't understand why.

You can uninstall them one at a time, but easier to do them all in PowerShell as I had over 60 of them

Get-AppxPackage -Name ????????-????-????-* | Remove-AppxPackage

Try the command without the pipe to 'Remove-AppxPackage' to list them all if you are curious before you remove them.

Interestingly I still had VS open when I ran this and all I did was a full rebuild of my solution and amazingly it just worked.  Up came the XAML designer.  No reboot required, no VS repair.  I didn't even close/reopen VS. 

Give it a go, I hope this works as well for you.

• Marked as answer by RobDev Monday, April 18, 2016 1:15 PM
    • Edited by Mark Barbieri Monday, April 18, 2016 10:05 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi RobDev,

Does this problem occur with your developing app? Please create a new project to check whether the new project also has this issue.

If the new project works fine, this is related to your project. Please try delete the .suo file in solution folder and the rebuild it. If the problem still exist, please create a new project and then move the original project files to the new project one by one.

If all projects have this problem, please try repair your Visual Studio first. There may be something broken when installing Update 2.

Then please check whether you have installed the Tools (1.3) and Windows 10 SDK(10.0.10586) as below image shows.

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 6:06 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

many thanks for your reply. I tried creating a new UWP project as you suggested. In the process I saw a dialog that I've not seen before, I guess it is something to do with having done Upgrade 2. It's shown below:

I just clicked 'OK' at this point. When the project was created I opened the MainPage.xaml file and got exactly the same error as before (i.e. the same unhandled exception).

I them checked the version of 'Tools and Windows' SDK. it shown in the image below:

I then used your aka.ms site to run Collect.exe but it didn't create a vslogs.cab file it created a vslogs.zip (is this what it's supposed to do?). I've uploaded the vslogs.zip file to OneDrive with the following link:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1236&authkey=!APq5kucNtxs5x3I&ithint=file%2czip

I hope this helps to find a solution. Please let me know if you need any other info.

RobDev

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Having the same error, even re-installing the redistributables it says its missing does not fix this issue. And there is no package with that id in the package cache.

For such a simple error, its a lot of time to repair visual studio. 

System.Exception

Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation.Windows cannot install package 4fdea2ba-9b60-4485-b8fa-9a430abd8669 because this package depends on another package that could not be found. This package requires minimum version 14.0.23918.0 of framework Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug published by CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US to install. Provide the framework along with this package.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 3:55 PM
  • where can this be downloaded?

This package requires minimum version 14.0.23918.0 of framework Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug published by CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US to install. Provide the framework along with this package.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 10:40 PM
  • Hi RobDev,

According to your installation logs, there are missing lots of files. I suggest you use Visual Studio 2015 ISO installer to repair your Visual Studio and then re-collect the installation log to share here again.

Before using the ISO installer, please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 to verify hash of the ISO. Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted. The Visual Studio 2015 ISO SHA-1 value, please refer to

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

In addition, please choose Windows 10 (10.0; Build 10240) to check whether it can be loaded.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, April 07, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Hi Savitas11,

Do you have created a new project and what's the result?

Please try the steps in my first reply and try repair your Visual Studio with ISO installer. Then please collect the installation logs to share here.

In addition, I suggest you create a new thread in our forum to describe your problem and tell us what do you have do, it can let other communities to provide some suggestion specifically for your problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, April 07, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I'm sorry to be such a pain but can you tell me what the Visual Studio 2015 ISO installer is called and where it is located, please? I've downloaded FCIV.exe but I have no idea as to how to locate the VS2015 ISO installer. In fact I've search the whole of my C: drive for *.iso and found nothing. I think it may have been delivered via Web installer.

However, in the meantime, I've tried to 'repair' VS2015 via Control Panel->Programs & Features->Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015->Change then choosing the 'Repair' option. This completed with the following Dialog:

I don't know if the info is relevant or, if it is, how I go about removing the 'existing versions'. Anyway, I've them run Collect.exe again and posted the resulting vslogs.zip file on OneDrive, the link is as follows:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1236&authkey=!AKWSUOVW44aiPp4&ithint=file%2czip

Also, after restarting, I tried VS2015 with my 'test' project and got exactly the same Unhandled Exception.

Please let me know if there's anything more I can do.

Kind regards

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Thursday, April 07, 2016 3:21 PM
    Thursday, April 07, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi RobDev,

The Visual Studio Community 2015 ISO installer can be download from below site. And then verify the ISO installer first and then uninstall previous installation and then re-install with the ISO installer.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

According to the installation log, I don't find any installation error about Windows SDK and UWP template. So I think the mostly problem may related to your computer environment.

Please check whether there has any updates for your Windows 10. If possible, please change another Windows 10 machine with all updates installed to check whether that also has the same problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 08, 2016 2:01 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I've downloaded the ISO file and the download completed successfully (although it did take quite a time). I then ran FCIV.exe with the following command line:

fciv vs2015.2.com_enu.iso -sh1

and got the following checksum:

2661f624eccd9e5d802f4156017f360b

According to the "Visual Studio 2015 ISO Files SHA-1 Values" page the checksum for the 'Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 2' (English) edition should be:

B670AFC74F19247ADE5252A79700764BD5A36623

which is obviously not the same.

Have I missed something or done something wrong here? Can you shed some light on what's happened here, please.

Kind regards,

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Friday, April 08, 2016 3:55 PM
    Friday, April 08, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Think, it is

fciv.exe –sha1 <your_filename>
    With kind regards

Saturday, April 09, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi MaybeCompletelyW,

many thanks for your reply. Sorry about that, it was a slip of the fingers on my part. The result using the proper '-sha1' qualifier is:

//
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
    b670afc74f19247ade5252a79700764bd5a36623 vs2015.2.com_enu.iso

which is the correct checksum, according to the link. So, the next step is to try and install VS2015 from the ISO.

I'm not familiar with installing from and ISO file, the ISO viewer shows me there's a file at the top level called "vs_community.exe". Do I just mount the ISO file and execute that app?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Hi RobDev,

Yes, please execute the vs_community.exe file to install Visual Studio. Since ISO installer has downloaded all needed packages, when starting install, the execute file need not download the packages online.

After installing, please share the installation log here to check whether the Visual Studio has installed correctly.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I've installed VS2015 from the ISO file - 'Default' installation. However, when I tried to open my test UWP app I was informed that I had to install the UWP development tools. Before doing this I ran Collect.exe to get the installation log files - the resulting zip file is on OneDrive I've called it vslogs_1.zip and the OneDrive link to it is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1302&authkey=!AF6Yv-JumZEj8v0&ithint=file%2czip

I then installed the UWP development tools and ran Collect.exe again the resulting zip file I've called vslogs_2.zip and the OneDrive link to it is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1303&authkey=!AAzEu_wWKrvc00I&ithint=file%2czip

However, when I now open any UWP app I get the following dialog:

When I click 'Install' and try to download and install the SDK I get the following dialog:

Do you know what's happening here?

Kind regards,

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Monday, April 11, 2016 4:07 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Hi RobDev,

The screenshots are broken in your reply, please re-add these screenshots again. And you also can upload the screenshot to OneDrive to share here.

According to your installation log, there has some installation error in the logs. Please make sure there doesn't have any other program running when installing the installer.

WixRemoveFoldersEx:  Error 0x80070057: Missing folder property: WEBTOOLSITEMTEMPLATESCACHE for row: RemoveICFolder
    CustomAction WixRemoveFoldersEx returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

Error 0x80070666: Process returned error: 0x666
    Error 0x80070666: Failed to execute EXE package.
    Error 0x80070666: Failed to configure per-machine EXE package.

In addition, if possible, I suggest you change another computer to check whether this problem related to your machine environment.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:30 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

when I opened my UWP test app the dialog I got was as follows:

I've uploaded this scrennshot to OneDrive as you requested, the link is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1315&authkey=!APhrnik09CklWvU&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

When I clicked on 'Install' I was directed to this link:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive

On this web page I chose the 'Install SDK' option for the older of the two SDKs. I think this might have been incorrect as I got the following dialog:

The OneDrive link to this screen shot is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1316&authkey=!AFVw-Gk0vFDLoJE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I have subsequently tried the other 'Install SDK' link and I got this dialog:

The OneDrive link for this is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1317&authkey=!APBWWhUOF8vi4c0&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I did not proceed with this installation as I wanted to check with you first. Is this the right SDK to install?

When this first happened I sent the exception information to Microsoft via VS2015 Feedback and received an email with a ticket ID on it, the number is 9905. Is there anyway of tracking what, if anything, is happening with this?

Also, I'm afraid I don't have another computer to install VS2015 on.

UPDATE:

I checked the VS2015 installation through Control Panel->Programs & Features->Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015->Change and found that the UWP Tools entry was duplicated. One said 'Deprecated' and was ticked, the other said 'Updated' and was not ticked. So I unticked the 'Deprecated' entry, ticked the 'Updated' entry and ran the update. After it had completed successfully I opened VS2015 and my UWP test app and the designer gave me exactly the same Unhandled Exception as before. So I'm back to square one with this.

By the way, I've uploaded the log file from the update, vslogs.zip, onto OneDrive, the link to it is as follows:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1320&authkey=!AN7EvpXMiqWmAUI&ithint=file%2czip

UPDATE UPDATE

I just tried creating a new UWP app and building it, It gave the following error:

1>Checking whether required frameworks are installed...

1>Framework: Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0/x86, app package version 1.0.23819.0 is not currently installed.

1>Framework: Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug/x86, app package version 14.0.23918.0 is not currently installed.

1>Installing missing frameworks...

1>DEP0800 : The required framework "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Kits\10\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.VCLibs\14.0\.\AppX\Debug\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.Debug.14.00.appx" failed to install.

1>error 0x80070490: Cannot process the affcceb1-9bd5-4277-83a6-26f4afb6269a_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package because the following error was encountered while retrieving the 4 property for the value 'Images\XDesProc.Logo.png': Element not found.

In the 'Error List' window I got the following message:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error  DEP0800 : The required framework "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Kits\10\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.VCLibs\14.0\.\AppX\Debug\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.Debug.14.00.appx" failed to install.
    error 0x80070490: Cannot process the affcceb1-9bd5-4277-83a6-26f4afb6269a_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package because the following error was encountered while retrieving the 4 property for the value 'Images\XDesProc.Logo.png': Element not found. VS2015ProblemTestApp2

Is this related to the problem?

Kind regards,

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:32 AM
  • Hi RobDev,

Thanks for your detailed information for your problem.

According to the error message that mentioned on your screenshot, I think this problem is more related to the Windows 10 SDK installation. Please try with following steps to uninstall and reinstall the Windows 10 SDK to check whether this problem can be fixed.

1. Please uninstall all Windows Software Development Kit related from Control Panel.
    2. Download the Windows Software Development Kit from official site and install it.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I've uninstalled all of the Windows SDKs (actually I had three of them) and installed the Windows SDK from your link. Everything completed successfully. I then opened my test project in VS2015 and got the following dialog:

The OneDrive link to this is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1333&authkey=!AMDWogZUdqzhU8k&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I thought that perhaps I should try editing the csproj file to update the 'TargetPlatformVersion' and 'TargetPlatformMinVersion' entries to '10.0.10586.15' as that's now the only SDK version I have installed. However, when I did so, I got the following dialog:

The OneDrive link to this is:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1333&authkey=!AMDWogZUdqzhU8k&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I then tried to create a new UWP app and set the target and minimum platform versions to "Windows 10(10.0;Build 10586)".  VS2015 displayed the following dialog:

The OneDrive link is as follows:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1341&authkey=!AKHsM7OOxkQqGKQ&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I really don't know how to proceed from here or what I should do now. Any ideas?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:33 PM
  • I feel your pain Rob, I've been following this thread for about a week as I have the exact same issue, and I've tried pretty much everything you've tried also most of them a few times.

My issues seemed to start not too long after I tried to install some of the mobile sdk's to do some band development, and I have a suspicion that it's related to that and maybe an win10 upgrade from win 7.  I may have tried installing at one point visual studio on my m: too.  I uninstalled a vs2012 along the way also, but I don't think that caused any issues.

I have done a full uninstall of visual studio community 2015 twice, and multiple uninstalls of the windows sdk's also.  I did notice in my modify of the visual studio this morning it had a depricate and update option.  I tried uninstalling the depricate and then installing the updated version but to no avail.

I think I'm up to universal app 15 also (just creating new apps when trying something new to fix this).

I did notice this morning when I tried to do the uninstall, and reinstall, it didn't seem to uninstall anything (as it was very quick), as was the reinstall (nearly instant for both infact).  I wondered if I could wipe the c:\program files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\ directory (where it's telling me it is to install to), after I uninstall all the windows sdk's and visual studio and see if that helps wipe whatever it is, but I wasn't sure if there were other dependancies that needed that directory.

I partly wanted to join the thread to let you know you're not the only one experiencing this issue, and am hopeful that a solution can be found :).

My specific error is below ( follows to end of post)

Thanks much,!

David

---------------------------

System.Exception
    Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation.

Windows cannot install package 75295c32-4da2-4616-bdc7-83c2e5d21ed6 because this package depends on another package that couldn't be found. This package requires minimum version 14.0.23918.0 of framework Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug published by CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US to install; the frameworks with name Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug available to the user are Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry, IServiceProvider serviceOverrides)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClass10_0`1.<StartTask>b__0()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi RobDev,

Since you have uninstalled all Windows SDK related and reinstall the Windows SDK of version 10.0.10586, please open your Visual Studio Setup from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio Community 2015 -> Change -> Modify.

Please check whether both of the "Universal Windows App Development Tools" and "Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools" are installed.

If all installed, please try installing Windows 10 Developer Tools to check whether can create new projects or not.

In addition, please make sure your Windows 10 Developer mode has been turn on. If not, please turn on it from All Programs -> Settings -> Updates&Security -> For Developer.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I've installed the options you've indicated except for the 'Emulators for Windows 10 Mobile (10.0.10586)' as I only have Windows 10 Home edition and those emulators are not an option (i.e. only valid for Windows 10 Pro). The options are shows in the following screen shot:

The OneDrive link is as follows:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7F1FB8EBD6B48E67!1357&authkey=!AKoGn7leBrBUfTw&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

When I clicked on your 'Windows 10 Developer Tools' link I got exactly the same dialog with exactly the same options already chosen, so I did not proceed with any update as there was nothing to update.

I then tried creating a UWP project which succeeded but when I tried to open the MainPage.xaml with the designer I got exactly the same unhandled exception as I had originally. I was able to build the project but when I tried to execute it I got the following error:

Severity

Code

Description

Project

File

Line

Suppression State

Error

DEP0800 : The required framework "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Kits\10\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.VCLibs\14.0\.\AppX\Debug\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.Debug.14.00.appx" failed to install. error 0x80070490: Cannot process the affcceb1-9bd5-4277-83a6-26f4afb6269a_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package because the following error was encountered while retrieving the 4 property for the value 'Images\XDesProc.Logo.png': Element not found.

VS2015ProblemTestApp3

Do you know what this means and if there's a fix for it?

Kind regards,

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:22 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:15 AM
  • Hi David,

many thanks for your reply. I very much appreciate you letting me know that I'm not the only with this problem. I hope Weiwei can come up with a solution or it looks like we're both stuck.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:20 AM
  • Hi David,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

just a quick update. I uninstalled VS2015 (and all its relevant SDKs) and reinstalled it via the ISO file but this time a performed a Custom install specifying the UWP options. The install was successful and I created a new UWP project but did not view the MainPage.xaml with the designer. The project built OK. However, when I tried to run it I got exactly the same error as I showed in my previous reply:

DEP0800 : The required framework "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Kits\10\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.VCLibs\14.0\.\AppX\Debug\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.Debug.14.00.appx" failed to install.
    error 0x80070490: Cannot process the affcceb1-9bd5-4277-83a6-26f4afb6269a_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package because the following error was encountered while retrieving the 4 property for the value 'Images\XDesProc.Logo.png': Element not found. 

Also, I then tried viewing the MainPage.xaml with the designer and I got exactly the same unhandled exception as I got originally.

Isn't this error related to the designer exception?

I should add that there are no problems with WPF projects.

Kind regards,

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Friday, April 15, 2016 3:04 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Thanks very much to both of you, I just wanted to let you know that my turn around times would be probably 1 to 2 times per week (but that I am dedicated to helping solve the issue), but also why I didn't post right away.

I'm wondering if it may be of help to worth determining where the 235/239 are coming from as when I do a search in the registry for 14.0.23506

I come up with a mixture of 235 and 239 installs, these are listed in the order I find them when I do the search for 14.0.23506 (the 239 listings are just adjacent entries)

for example (files exist in each of these locations referenced in the data values)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23918.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23918.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

but not one for the 235 x64 debug one

Next in the search I find this, but not a matching entry for 239

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

then I find this, but not a matching 239 one (lots of stuff in the details of this one)**

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

then this (likely not as key)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Schemas

Key: PackageFullName :: value: Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

then this one (again only a 235, not a 239 reference): it's maybe worth noting I'm not seeing a Debug140 universal like I do for the 120 version.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Schemas

key: PackageFullName :: value: Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

next I see:, but again no x64 for the 235 install.  And again no debug.universal for the 140 (like for 120), I think that's as designed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23918.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23918.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I see some other stuff like this but I'll skip it (with the 235 in it)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\8F139CF91DE936230A1FA8ED33D0E0EC\98009806B88526349B5C9A1CD1E6D51D

Its taking a long time to find the next one, so I'll stop there. 

To me it looks like there are some mismatches between what I would expect and what there is; It may be of help to compare yours to see what is matching/different or to a programmer type who could say I look here and it's wrong... :)

to me it looks like the uninstall/upgrade to 239 didn't clear out the 235 completely, and the 235 was found by  VS during the install and was inserted for the key that I've marked with the ** potentially.

I have to step away for a while, hopefully this is helpful information.  I'll likely try an uninstall/reinstall of a few things here later and see if I can move some more stuff to the 239 version :).

Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hi David,

have  you tried uninstalling VS Update 2 and reinstalling VS Update 1? I'm thinking of trying this next week if there's still no solution. The link is:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49989

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sunday, April 17, 2016 2:42 PM
  • So after suffering with this exact same problem for the last 24 hours, I have managed to solve it.

As above, numerous repairs, etc did not help.

I noticed in 'Apps & features' that there were many apps with the title    

NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode

They appear to be remnants from apps deployed by Visual Studio on the local machine.  I suspect they were also the cause of some package conflicts, although I don't understand why.

You can uninstall them one at a time, but easier to do them all in PowerShell as I had over 60 of them

Get-AppxPackage -Name ????????-????-????-* | Remove-AppxPackage

Try the command without the pipe to 'Remove-AppxPackage' to list them all if you are curious before you remove them.

Interestingly I still had VS open when I ran this and all I did was a full rebuild of my solution and amazingly it just worked.  Up came the XAML designer.  No reboot required, no VS repair.  I didn't even close/reopen VS. 

Give it a go, I hope this works as well for you.

• Marked as answer by RobDev Monday, April 18, 2016 1:15 PM
    • Edited by Mark Barbieri Monday, April 18, 2016 10:05 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 12:32 PM
  • Hi Mark,

many thanks for your solution, you are genius. I only had about 6 'NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode' entries in 'Apps and Features' so I uninstalled them one at a time. I then ran up VS2015 and, as if by magic, everything worked as it should. The designer came up without a hitch and my apps could run/deploy with no problems.

I was beginning to despair of ever finding a solution to this but you've got it. I think Microsoft should post your solution somewhere very prominent as I think there might be a few others who've had the same or similar problems. I'm going to mark your solution as the answer as it's worked for me.

Many thanks, once again.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Hi Mark,

many thanks for your solution, you are genius. I only had about 6 'NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode' entries in 'Apps and Features' so I uninstalled them one at a time. I then ran up VS2015 and, as if by magic, everything worked as it should. The designer came up without a hitch and my apps could run/deploy with no problems.

I was beginning to despair of ever finding a solution to this but you've got it. I think Microsoft should post your solution somewhere very prominent as I think there might be a few others who've had the same or similar problems. I'm going to mark your solution as the answer as it's worked for me.

Many thanks, once again.

Kind regards,

RobDev

No problem, glad it worked.

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:16 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I've noticed that since I fixed VS2015 using your solution, as I've run a couple of my apps via VS2015 'NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode' entries have appeared in 'Apps & features', it looks like one for each different app that I've run. They only appear the first time the app is run via vs2015 - no other entries for subsequent runs - and they haven't affected VS2015 but I was wondering what, exactly, is it about VS2015 that's producing these entries and why? Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any idea about this?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi RobDev,

Yes, I've noticed the same and expect they've always been there but I've just never looked to find them.  I've also found some residual package data and Visual Studio shadowcache data lying around. I'm not sure if these are left over from crashed/hung XDesProc.exe proceses.

I don't know when this started but I already have quite a few new entries since yesterday.

Sorry, I don't really know why they're there, or how to prevent them or if there is a better way to clean them up but I hope someone can assist.

Weiwei, is this something you can investigate further?

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Hi Mark,

many thanks for your reply. It does seem strange to me that Visual Studio doesn't appear to clean up after itself, especially as the consequences can be so dramatic. It would be reassuring if someone at Microsoft could look into this and let us know what exactly is going on, it seems like it could be a very important issue.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:08 PM
  • I tried this also, but for me did didn't work, I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling a few things again, hopefully it clears it up. 
    I'm concerned this may have a side effect, I had 6 of them installed which I uninstalled, but at the bottom of my settings apps and features now I have a bunch of Microsoft Corp apps without an icon, many which I can't uninstall. 

It's quite possible its related to the sdk addon uninstall or something like, but it's worth taking a peek at before starting to uninstall. I'm hopeful an sdk/vs reinstall will remedy it :)

I'll let you know how it goes

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi David,

I also saw this issue with the Microsoft Corp apps.  I didn't try and uninstall them but noticed they disappeared soon after.  Maybe as a result of a reboot.

At some stage I also ran WSReset.exe from a command line which is supposed to reset the windows store cache.  It didn't appear to resolve the issue at the time, but may have assisted in resolving it following a reboot.

I would try a reboot first, and if that doesn't clean up the Microsoft Corp apps, then try WSReset and reboot again.

Either way, I don't expect they should be causing you any issues.  I had the designer working before I cleaned these up.

I would suggest if you have cleaned up all the NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode entries and still have issues loading the designer I would now try a repair of Visual studio and confirm the correct packages are installed as per the earlier posts.

Good luck.

Friday, April 22, 2016 2:05 AM
  • Coworker got the same problem and we solve it by enabling Windows Firewall.

We made store package and tried to deploy it using PowerShell and it refused to install package till Firewall is off!

Friday, June 10, 2016 10:12 AM
  • Dear @Mark,

I had the same issue and you pointed me in the right direction!

I actually didn't have to uninstall some bogus apps, but I had to uninstall the bad vclibs, with this command:

Get-AppxPackage -Name *vclibs.140*debug | Remove-AppxPackage

then Visual Studio reinstalled them correctly at the first deployment.

• Edited by Licantrop0 Sunday, July 31, 2016 11:15 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Friday, September 16, 2016 6:43 AM
  • I had this same problem. After switching to Developer mode the Xaml file correctly loaded.

Friday, December 09, 2016 5:26 PM