If Microsoft can't win over developers...

General discussion

• If Microsoft can't win over developers to write Metro-style applications for their new platform, then there won't be very many apps in the App Store.  So the longer Microsoft waits to address our concerns, the fewer apps will be available win Windows 8 launches.  Nobody wants to spend the next year of their lives writing apps for the next HP TouchPad.

Monday, October 03, 2011 12:43 PM

All replies

• Some people might be agree and some might not agree but using Windows 8 in touch screen PCs are simple using metro style. I guess a lot of developer wanted to develop something that easily run in touch screen . You still able to run normal application without metro-style but using metro style gives you more power over multi-touch.

I recommend that pass feedbacks that about making metro-style better.

Monday, October 03, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Agreed. Like with the Windows Phone Microsoft has done a terrible job in showing us corporate, LOB app developers that they are interested in improving (and fixing) the application platforms (SL/WPF) that they have preached we should use. While Metro is all well and good for media rich apps it is not good for most LOB apps where detailed serach and form entry is the day-in-the-life. They continue to tell us to "use the best tools" for LOB apps (which directly translate to "good luck with that SL/WPF that we're no longer investing in") rather than show us any hope that there's more to WinRT than media rich apps. When .Net 5.0 ships with nothing specific for SL/WPF in it I'm sure the'll spin it like "any improvement to .Net is an improvement to SL/WPF" -- assuming there is a .Net 5.0 and not a WinRT replacement for it entirely. I surmise for the Windows Division camp their dream would be for us to port our LOB apps to ASP.Net, back-end it to Azure, and toss our desktop apps. In their perfect world it looks like this:

1. WinRT/Metro (w/prefered backend to Azure)
    2. ASP.NET (w/prefered backend to Azure) -- why do you think they move Scott Gu out of DevDiv?
    3. Backwards compatibility (so they don't totally piss off corporate users who won't upgrade to Windows 8 if their old stuff won't run on it).

Nice strategy to sell more Azure compute time.

We'll it's back to my Android development...

Monday, October 03, 2011 2:30 PM