none
Web Application Object Data Sources Do Not Show RRS feed

• Question

• Web Application Object Data Sources Do Not Show In Website Data Sources Tab

I've a web application that contains two projects:

1: The web application.

2: A project that is a class library with business objects.

Ideally, once a reference to the class library is supplied to the web application the business objects should appear in the web data sources window when I've got an .rdlc file open.  Although some of the objects appear (base classes) the business objects themselves do not appear. 

To test this I've created a very simple web application with a very simple class library.  I've placed a very simple 'Employee' singleton object in there and exposed it through an 'Employees' collection.  I then created the .rdlc file in the web application and the Website Data Sources tab worked exactly as advertised.  It seems to work for very simple class libraries but if the business objects inherit from other objects the silly thing doesn't seem to work very well.

Anyways, for the work around I have to put my .rdlc files into the class library which is just awful.

Once there, I used an object datasource and it works.

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:05 PM

All replies

• It appears they do not show because I inherit from the CSLA framework.

http://forums.lhotka.net/forums/default.aspx

Odd.

Monday, July 30, 2007 6:54 PM
  • NOTE: This is in WebApplication which isn't the same as a WebSite

Okay, I've worked on this a little bit more and I've discovered the following:

1: You apparently must directly inherit from List(Of T) for the collection class to expose its objects to the Website Data Sources tab.

2: The constructor for the collection class you create must remain PUBLIC.  If you try to use a factory method and make the constructor private the collection class will now work with the Website Data Sources tab.

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:29 PM