none
how to search all installed and runnabke application in vb.net RRS feed

• Question

• how to list my all application like google chrome , vs2008, photoshop etc . which is installed on my computer?????????????????????????????????

____________________________________________ Everything is possible

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Gopal,

There are many ways to achieve your goals. I pick up two of them for you.

Iterating through the registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" seems to give a comprehensive list of installed applications.

Dim registry_key As String = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"

Using key As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(registry_key)

For Each subkey_name As String In key.GetSubKeyNames()

Using subkey As RegistryKey = key.OpenSubKey(subkey_name)

Console.WriteLine(subkey.GetValue("DisplayName"))

End Using

Next

End Using

Alternatively, you could use WMI.

Dim mos As New ManagementObjectSearcher("SELECT * FROM Win32_Product")

For Each mo As ManagementObject In mos.[Get]()

Console.WriteLine(mo("Name"))

Next

But this is rather slower to execute, and I've heard it may only list programs installed under "ALLUSERS", though that may be incorrect. It also ignores the Windows components & updates, which may be handy for you.

Best Regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Gopal,

There are many ways to achieve your goals. I pick up two of them for you.

Iterating through the registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" seems to give a comprehensive list of installed applications.

Dim registry_key As String = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"

Using key As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(registry_key)

End Using

Next

End Using

Alternatively, you could use WMI.

Dim mos As New ManagementObjectSearcher("SELECT * FROM Win32_Product")

Next

But this is rather slower to execute, and I've heard it may only list programs installed under "ALLUSERS", though that may be incorrect. It also ignores the Windows components & updates, which may be handy for you.

Best Regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:25 AM
  • but i want to add in list box but there are an error was occur

ListBox1.Items.Add(subkey.GetValue("DisplayName").ToString) ' error on this line

End Using

Next

End Using

i use Vs2008

____________________________________________ Everything is possible

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Dim mos As New ManagementObjectSearcher("SELECT * FROM Win32_Product")

Next

this code is successfully run but google chrome , firefox was not listed ....

please help me i want to list all program that user can run and work

Everything is possible

Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:23 AM