none
In which order MS Word render the paragraph borders with 4 sides having different colors? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want to know in which order MS Word render the paragraph borders. A document is having single paragraph with 4 sides of border(Top,Right,Left,Bottom).

S.No

Border Type

Border Color

Border Weight(From document.xml file)

833C0B

Left

FFFF00

Bottom

FF0000

Right

FF0000

Between

2E74B5

This same set of border properties having two continuous paragraphs.
    Please find the screenshot of that document.

Can you please help me , in which order MS Word render the paragraph borders.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:44 AM

All replies

• This may be different in different versions of Word.

When I tried in Word 2013, the horizontal borders ovelapped the vertical borders.

When i tried in Word 2010, the same thing happened.

In those two tries, I did not duplicate your result. It may be different in Word 2003, 2007 or 2016.

When I used a yellow horizontal border, it appeared to be covered by the vertical borders. When I changed it to black, it appeared to cover the vertical borders.

It may depend on the color. One color may cover another regardless of which border it is in. I have not tried that.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 11:54 AM
  • Hi Charles,

As you said "It may depend on the color", But the paragraph border preservation not at all following the table cell conflict border preservation, you can find more details about this in the below given link.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/documentformat.openxml.wordprocessing.tablecellborders%28v=office.14%29.aspx

So is there any separate algorithm following paragraph border preservation order?

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Microsoft has never exposed these kinds of algorithms to the public. Quite simply: no one knows except Microsoft, who won't reveal this information.

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:51 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your update, found the paragraph border rendering border. You may not reveal your information, but i have your wonderful office products. That's enough to identify the solution.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

Could you provide the details of found the paragraph border rendering border?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:00 AM
  • Hi Starain,

Sorry for the delay.

Please find the details for border rendering order.

Normal rendering order:

Left

Right

Bottom

If the paragraph is having between border, need to sort the border rendering for left,right,between borders alone.

Conditions:

Left and Between or Left and Right line width should be same as well as border type.Then need to sort the border rendering order based on its color brightness descending order.

Color Brightness: R+B+2*G

The above given details meet my requirement in viewing level, even though i have not following your emf rendering algorithm.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Monday, December 7, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for sharing this.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:43 AM