Selection changed event triggered while updating an Item

Question

• Hi ,

When I update an item i.e get and set an Item in dataSource, Selection changed is getting triggered with e->AddedItems holding that Item and e->RemovedItems holding the same Item .

How to avoid this selection changed event getting triggered in this case ?

Thanks

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:35 AM

Answers

• Whenever I _programmatically_ [e.g. in a ViewModel] start 'manipulating' the source collection of business objects bound to a ListView, GridView, etc., I _systematically_ bracket these operations with a [SelectionChanged event handler remove ... add] statement. I do that whatever the complexity of the scenario, so that this event-less state not only avoids disturbing me but also boosts performance since there is no one listening.

So my approach is:

- I always listen for the events
    - I 'kind of disable' them using the said technique - i.e. by not listening to them - whenever programmatically changing the list.

I understand that alternative design concepts can be considered. 

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:07 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:36 PM

All replies

• I assume that the item is visually selected when you decide to perform this scenario.

Upon removing then inserting back that item in a list, bracket this operation with a statement that removes then one that adds back the SelectionChanged event handler.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Ya , It is visually selected ,

If it is not visually selected , selection changed gets triggered two times :

1. with e->AddedItems holding that item

2. with e->RemovedItems holding that item

where as when it is visually selected , selectionchanged event gets triggered only once with e->AddedItems and e->RemovedItems holding same item.

cant I avoid this Selection changed event get triggering at this moment ?

And also I am just getting that item and setting it back to DataSource , does it cause a remove and Insert (by design) ?

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Whenever I _programmatically_ [e.g. in a ViewModel] start 'manipulating' the source collection of business objects bound to a ListView, GridView, etc., I _systematically_ bracket these operations with a [SelectionChanged event handler remove ... add] statement. I do that whatever the complexity of the scenario, so that this event-less state not only avoids disturbing me but also boosts performance since there is no one listening.

So my approach is:

- I always listen for the events
    - I 'kind of disable' them using the said technique - i.e. by not listening to them - whenever programmatically changing the list.

I understand that alternative design concepts can be considered. 

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:07 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:36 PM