Enabling Thumb / Fingerprint scanner / biometric login

Question

• I've got a thinkapd X201T tablet (convertible) whic seems to run Win 8 dev preview great, but I can't figure out how to enroll my thumbprint scanner to log me on.  I can see the device is recognized, but can;t find the UI to enable logon by thumbprint.

Any help?  This is really a UI question, as I'm sure it would work if I could find out how to turn it on.

PS, if there is a better resource for how to find the answer to this question (ie RTFM) then please let me kow where that can be found.

Thanks

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

• Oh found it, under hardware and sound / biometric devices
    • Marked as answer by R Lewis1 Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:04 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:04 PM

All replies

• As far as I understand, you have the right drivers installed successfully.

If it's not in the desktop version of the Control Panel list (Start - Control Panel - More Settings in the left list), than the biometric framework might be stripped from this preview.

• Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:55 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Thanks, thats a good sugestion.  I'm not sure where in the desktop control panel I might find biometric scanner / login settings.  Would that be under system and security , hardware and sound, or ease of access?  I'll look around some more.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Oh found it, under hardware and sound / biometric devices
    • Marked as answer by R Lewis1 Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:04 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Switch to the list view instead of the category one (in the top right corner), it's less chaotic than :)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:05 PM
  • You can find 'Biometric devices' under 'Hardware and Sound' in the control panel.

1) Click on Start --> Type "Control panel" --> Press Enter

2) Scroll down in the modern control panel. Click on More settings on the left pane.

3) This will open up the classic control panel

4) Click on "Hardware and Sound"

5) You will see "Biometric devices" here.

If you don't see it, check that the drivers for your fingerprint sensor is installed.

Thanks

Janani (MSFT)

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Janani,

I have an X1 Thinkpad. The fingerprint reader (UPEK) worked on one install but did not work when I did another install to play with the UEFI formatting of the drive. 

It says the device will not start.  I have tried the newer Authen Tek drivers as well and those actually crash the machine.

Thanks,

Ron

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Hey Ron,

Check to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your computer from Lenovo using the site linked below. Updating your BIOS may allow the fingerprint reader to function properly.
    Lenovo Support - Download Drivers and Software

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:28 PM