Metro style apps don't run on either of my macbooks

Question

• Neither the built-in nor custom Metro style apps run on either my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. I've tried a variety of resolutions, including the recommended 1366x768 and tried Windows Update (the latest drivers are installed on both MacBooks). Ideas?

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:12 AM

Answers

• It should not make any difference whether you are running Windows Developer Preview on a MacBook.

For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

4) If you are using an Windows Live account, the password cannot be greater than 16 characters.
    If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

Please reply back with an update on your status.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:00 PM

All replies

• It should not make any difference whether you are running Windows Developer Preview on a MacBook.

For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

4) If you are using an Windows Live account, the password cannot be greater than 16 characters.
    If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

Please reply back with an update on your status.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Are you using BootCamp or virtualization technology? Windows 8 struggles with virtualization, and I would not be surprised to find an emulator that could not run Metro-style apps in Windows 8. If you're not using virtualization, I've read before that Apple does a poor job of keeping drivers updated for Windows on Macs. That might be part of the problem. I don't own any MacBooks myself, however, so I can't say anything from first-hand experience.
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:42 PM