The project location is not trusted: RRS feed

• Question

•  

New to the forum. (hi guys)

Hope I am leaving this in the correct category. (If not please advise.)

I am programming in VS 2005 with a VB Project (windows form) (Vista Pro operating system).

It works fine on my C: drive but if I move it to a Network drive I get:

The project location is not trusted: .....

I found a page in the Visual Studio Developer Center that explains how to correct this problem:

It has two Methods:

using the Mscorcfg.msc and

using Caspol.exe

I tried both but I can't get any project new, old or otherwise to work.

Both methods add a corresponding node to the configuration (and they look pretty good) with the share name I want to use but noway it won't work.

I'v tried rebooting the PC but it won't work.

I will appreciate all the help on this matter I can get.

Thank You.

BillyBoyPr

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:13 AM

Answers

• Can you show what you typed when using CasPol?  Here is an example of how we've used Caspol to get around this issue:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol -m -ag All_Code -url file://server/folder/* FullTrust -n AppName

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:58 PM

All replies

• Can you show what you typed when using CasPol?  Here is an example of how we've used Caspol to get around this issue:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol -m -ag All_Code -url file://server/folder/* FullTrust -n AppName

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:58 PM
  •  

caspol -m -ag 1.2 -url file://\\win2003server\NewProgs\*  FullTrust

(This is what microsoft recommends).

\\win2003server\NewProgs is my share on a Win2003 Server.

It creates an entry into the Runtime Security Policy--> Machine --> Code Groups --> All_code --> LocalIntranet_Zone with a generic name but with the parameters I created adding it directly through .Net Framework configuration (Which didn't work either.)

I executed it through the SDK command prompt (in the Micosoft .net framework SDK menu).

I ran yours ( in the same command prompt) and the only difference was that it created the node directly under the All_Code group and named the node what I used instead of AppName.

I have tried it also with file://win2003server/ShareE/NewProgs which is the actual directory on the server.

But nothing seems to work.

BillyBoyPR

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:43 AM
  •  

I would like to add that what I am trying to do is put my project ( or whatever project I am working on ) on a server and develope from that location.

At this point I am not deploying my application.

I have a project I copied to the server and when I try to open it I get the not trusted message.

BiilyBoyPR

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:33 AM
  • I am also getting this message.  However I am getting when ever I move a project to the Default folder (Visual Studio 2005\projects) on a different machine.  Both of the utilities seem to be geared to work with network drives, which I am not using.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:58 PM
  • As you all know I am working on a Vista OS machine. And as I suspected all along ( and maybe some of you ) This problem is another Vista S...hing.

I have a Notebook with Vista installed and I loaded Visual Studio on it. I connected it to my network the same way I had my desktop. Low and behold it didn't work on this machine either.

I have an XP machine for things Vista does not support (  as you can imagine I use it more than I want  ). I installed Visual Studio on this machine made the necessary policy change and it worked like a charm. (Not only that it worked on the very first try!)

(I used the .Net Configuration Tool not Caspol.exe but I am sure Caspol will work because I played around with it and the configuration tool enough to know what caspol was actually doing.)

Now that I know whats broken how can we get these guys in Microsoftdom to get it to work? (Or at least tell us a work around.).

If any body finds a way to work this out in Vista please send me a line.

I will keep on working on this problem and if I find a solution I will post it here.

Thank you all.

Friday, September 7, 2007 3:31 AM
  • BillyBoyPR,

Im having the eact same issue.  XP works like a charm for a mapped network drive, Im trying to do the same thing on Vista, and having a HELL of a time.   jduke@tifco.com if you happen to find a solution.  Email me as well in case I find one,

Justin

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:15 PM
  • I went with mscorcfg.  It did not work for a mapped network drive on my XP Professional x64 workstation.  Since I am attempting to load my solution file from the mapped drive, not a UNC, I attempted making changes to the My_Computer_Zone; these attempts were fruitless.  I also attempted using file://\\server\* as the URL (omitting the share name); this did not help.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:53 PM
  • On my XP machine (not XP64) It worked ok with mapped drives and UNC. Could it also be a problem of XP64?

BiilyBoyPR

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Yeah, that is OK !!!!!!    on my windows Xp 64 bit workstation, the exact command is

caspol -m -ag 1.2 -url file://\\ws\exch\* FullTrust

where \\ws\exch is the share.

the "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration" doesn't work

hope this help (one year later ... :) but I got the problem today ...

marco
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:57 PM