Custom ASF stream playing in Silverlight media element. RRS feed

• Question

• I have custom ASF stream coming from Windows Media Server. The custom stream can contain H.264 data and other data like mpeg4 part2 or proprietary format.

Playing H.264 in silverlight is directly supported and I am able to get it work. But other formats like mpeg4 part2 and proprietary format I am having trouble.

How to play custom ASF stream with proprietary format data and other formats data which is not directly supported by silverlight?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Samir,

Not all formats are supported in Silverlight now.   For the Supported Media Formats, Protocols, and Log Fields, you'd better take a look at this link.  We suggest that you'd better format it with Microsoft Encoder. 

Best regards,

Jonathan

Monday, April 5, 2010 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Samir,

Not all formats are supported in Silverlight now.   For the Supported Media Formats, Protocols, and Log Fields, you'd better take a look at this link.  We suggest that you'd better format it with Microsoft Encoder. 

Best regards,

Jonathan

Monday, April 5, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Jonathan, thanks for the reply.

By default silverlight can play h.264 and raw video (rgb, yuv). But using MediaStreamSource we can break the format barrier in silverlight I suppose.

Is it possible using MediaStreamSource to play any format packet contained in ASF wrapper?

Monday, April 5, 2010 6:50 AM
  • Hi Samir,

Is it possible using MediaStreamSource to play any format packet contained in ASF wrapper?

Currently, the answer is no.  Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Hi, 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc189080(VS.95).aspx

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hey Guys....

I have the same problem, I want to play videos .asf in Silverlight, is there any way?

So far could not findanything, please let me give an example to....

Regards

Monday, November 21, 2011 9:21 AM
  • I wrote an asf parser and took out my custom packets from the asf file.  I then wrote code to display them in a bitmap.  Performance was a problem and I've got the project on hold, but it can be done and it isn't too much work....

Brian

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:59 PM