none
Does all the windows 64 bit operating system have .net 2.0 installed on it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It looks like all the 64 bit Windows OS have .net 2.0 installed.  Can my installer rely on this fact and not redistribute 64 bit .net framework?

Is there a way some user can uninstall .net?
    Is there a documentation from MS that says what version of .net is installed by default on each OS?

Best Regards,
    Vishal
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:48 AM

Answers

• If you're using Visual C# or Visual Basic, then you can make your application target an x86 CPU. That way it will only require the 32-bit external components (.NET Framework) to be installed. That will save you the trouble of setting up 64-bit versions of your application. As far as I'm aware, only the .NET Framework 2.0 has a x64 redistributable. That can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B44A0000-ACF8-4FA1-AFFB-40E78D788B00&displaylang=en

Otherwise, you don't necessarily need a 64-bit .NET Framework. Visual Studio will build assemblies that will target the 64-bit platform if possible, otherwise it will use the 32-bit platform. So your 32-bit application will run fine on a 32-bit machine and a 64-bit machine (regardless of the version of .NET installed). Your 64-bit application will run fine on a 64-bit machine (again regardless of the version of .NET).

Might I add that I'm not too fond of 64-bit applications and OSs anyway. They seem to cause nothing but trouble. But that's just my experience.

Hope this helps!
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:24 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the below still valid?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

Best Regards,
    Vishal
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Hi Vishal,

Yes, it's valid.

More clarification with you. Do you mean that you want to remove .NET Framework 2.0? What's your OS?

Referring to removal of the .NET Framework, it depends on the applications and OS that are ran on your PC.

For OS, you can refer to the link that you posted above.

For applications, if you have some application based on .NET Framework 2.0, you cannot remove .NET Framework 2.0 to ensure the application run on your PC.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:24 AM typo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hi Chen,

I do not want to uninstall .NET 2.0.

Following is my scenario:

My Application type:
    - 32 bit application.
    - On 64 bit it will run under WOW.

OS types supported:
    32 bit and 64 bit machines. Now we are thinking of using .NET in our application.

Ways of distributing my application:
    1. via Download.
    2. via CD.

To support .NET I have to include 32 bit .NET for 32 bit machines and 64 bit .NET for 64 bit machines.

So either I have a single CD / Download for all the machines with the size of my installer increased by 150% (say 120MB) or I have separate CD / Download for 64 bit machines which will add to maintenance complexity.

Now looking at the 64 bit OS it looks like all of them come bundled with .NET 2.0. If I rely on that fact then I don't have to install .NET 64 bit. That means my CD / Download only has .NET redistributable for 32 bit machines.

Let me know if I am missing anything.

Best Regards,
    Vishal
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:19 PM
  • If you're using Visual C# or Visual Basic, then you can make your application target an x86 CPU. That way it will only require the 32-bit external components (.NET Framework) to be installed. That will save you the trouble of setting up 64-bit versions of your application. As far as I'm aware, only the .NET Framework 2.0 has a x64 redistributable. That can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B44A0000-ACF8-4FA1-AFFB-40E78D788B00&displaylang=en

Otherwise, you don't necessarily need a 64-bit .NET Framework. Visual Studio will build assemblies that will target the 64-bit platform if possible, otherwise it will use the 32-bit platform. So your 32-bit application will run fine on a 32-bit machine and a 64-bit machine (regardless of the version of .NET installed). Your 64-bit application will run fine on a 64-bit machine (again regardless of the version of .NET).

Might I add that I'm not too fond of 64-bit applications and OSs anyway. They seem to cause nothing but trouble. But that's just my experience.

Hope this helps!
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:24 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2009 6:20 AM