SettingsFlyout for "other uses"

General discussion

• Howdy,

I have a bit of an esoteric question.. I am struggling with the "Modern UI" of my edit screen and a thought came to me.. Rather then having a separate page with dubious UI value (due to the nature of my objects) could I use a SettingsFlyout to house the object update form? It feels like a natural use of the virtual space available.. But I didn't know if there was some great "Modern UI" doctorine that says that the SettingsFlyout is only to be called by links on the Settings charm?

Thoughts?... For now I think I am going to roll with it but I would love to hear what others think..

Thanks

Josh

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:24 AM

All replies

• Not sure what the "best" practice is, but we use flyouts in a bunch of spots in the way you describe.  I think it's fine for something that isn't really a settings option.  For instance, if we have a small inline list of data and need to add/edit an item, we use a flyout.  I think the big things are to be consistent with your layout (fonts, grid-based, etc) so that the flyout fits with the rest of the app and it's obvious how to commit/dismiss the flyout.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:37 PM