IronPython deployment issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I downloaded the VS2008 SDK v1.1 and opened the IronPythonProject C# example.

My target is to deploy the IronPythonProject. So, I made the following steps:

1. Build the PythonProject.

2. F5 to run in the exp hive.

3. File -> new project->New Project dialog: the IronPython project types appear with two types: Web, Windows and all thing works correctly.

3. Deploy the PythonProject through the walkthrough: Tutorial: Simple VSPackage Deployment

Link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb458038%28v=VS.90%29.aspx

4. After I setup the deployed project on end user's machine, and opened the VS 2008 -> File -> new project-> on the left pane project types I found the IronPython: and the Web only appears as project type and the Visual Studio installed templates has only ASP.Net Web Application.

My question is :

Why the Windows project type doesn't appear in the list after deployment?

I am work on (development machine) windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3,

VS2008 Version 3.5 SP1, SDK 2008 v1.1

Please help.

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the project templates are not properly installed. Please rebuild IronPython solution.

1.    Deploy project templates.

C:\Users\<YourAccount>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0Exp\ProjectTemplates

You will find a folder named “IronPython”,  then copy this folder to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates.

2.    Deploy project item templates.

Open C:\Users\<YourAccount>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0Exp\ ItemTemplates

Find the “IronPython” folder, copy this folder to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates.

3.    Install project template.

Open the commandline with administrator rights. Then run devenv /installvstemplates and run devenv /setup.

Please let me know whether it helps.

Thanks

Chao

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, July 5, 2010 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi, John

If you want to deploying manually, just register the dlls to the right registry as what the Tutorial: Simple VSPackage Deployment told us and then deploy the templates in the right folder as what I have mentioned.

But if you want to deploy the IronPython automatically, the SDK has already provided us the essential tools.

See this link for generating the MSI automatically.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb164704(VS.80).aspx

Thanks

Chao

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the project templates are not properly installed. Please rebuild IronPython solution.

1.    Deploy project templates.

C:\Users\<YourAccount>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0Exp\ProjectTemplates

You will find a folder named “IronPython”,  then copy this folder to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates.

2.    Deploy project item templates.

Open C:\Users\<YourAccount>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0Exp\ ItemTemplates

Find the “IronPython” folder, copy this folder to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates.

3.    Install project template.

Open the commandline with administrator rights. Then run devenv /installvstemplates and run devenv /setup.

Please let me know whether it helps.

Thanks

Chao

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

But can you please provide me detailed links and tutorial about deploying the IronPythonProject.

Thanks again for your attention. 

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Hi, John

If you want to deploying manually, just register the dlls to the right registry as what the Tutorial: Simple VSPackage Deployment told us and then deploy the templates in the right folder as what I have mentioned.

But if you want to deploy the IronPython automatically, the SDK has already provided us the essential tools.

See this link for generating the MSI automatically.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb164704(VS.80).aspx

Thanks

Chao

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:41 AM