SqlDataSource problem - Database schema could not be retrieved RRS feed

• Question

• User804786636 posted

I recently installed the latest Oracle Data Provider for .NET(ODP.NET 11.2.0.1.2), due to the fact that Microsoft Oracle Client is deprecated. Ever since the new installation, my SqlDataSource control stopped working. When I try to configure the data source of the SqlDataSource and test the connection, it always gives me the following error message:

Database schema could not be retrieved for this connection. Please make sure the connection settings are correct and that the database is online.

OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available. at DataObjectSupport(721,6)

I know for sure the connection settings are definitely correct and the database is online for sure, because any databinding I did manually works perfectly well. I can manually bind to a Gridview, ListBox controls and display the data without any problem. The only problem I have is using the SqlDataSource. This is painful because Gridview and Listview have a lot of cool built-in features. When you databind the controls in the code behind file, you lose all the features.

I have added ASPNET to the Oracle home directory and granted it full control access and retarted the computer but it doesn't work. I'm using Visual Studio 2010 and the database is Oracle 10g. Does anybody know why I'm having problem with SqlDataSource only?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:03 AM

Answers

• User1716267170 posted

I recommend you to report this problem to Microsoft on Connect site and see whether they can repro and help to resolve this problem:

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Thanks. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:25 AM