submitting app with documentsLibrary support RRS feed

• Question

• How does one go about submitting an app with documentsLibrary support. It is not fair that several applications seem to have been allowed to do this but no clear approach has been provided on how this is done.  One app in particular, Pocket File Manager seems to have has access to SD card read/write *and* documents library since WP8 (something I understand is not supposed to be possible). I need to be able to save my user's choice of location and not keep prompting them for it with the FolderPicker every time they want to store something.  Help please.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:33 AM

Answers

• There is a class StorageApplicationPermissions which has a property FutureAccessList that you can use to store any folders you would like to have future access to.  Add the result of a FilePicker call to this dictionary.  On application start you can retrieve any folders stored here.  This is the way to propagate folder access permissions from the user to you.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Xochl,

SD card access and documentsLibrary are two separate capabilities. Are you publishing to Windows Phone or Windows 8 (PC/Tablet)?

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Phone Dev Center

Windows 8 UI Developer Support

Thursday, May 1, 2014 1:08 AM
  • My question seems relatively clear.  I would like to have access to submit an app that can access the document library  and *no*, OpenFileDialog /SaveFileDialog does not cut it.  My app is a File Manager (like the apps I mentioned in my original post).  I cannot even submit my app for certification because it detects that I have documentLibrary permission and refuses to accept the upload.  Again my question is this:  How does a developer building a File Manager application get access to the phone's document library. 

This is important because Local storage for a file manager application would not work as files stored there would not survive uninstalling the app.  Open/Save file dialogs do not work because they are too slow for a user to keep doing it each time.

Alternatively I would like to know how get access to the document library *after* a user uses the folder picker to select it?  Again certain applications in the market seem as though they have been allowed to access these folders but no documentation or sample or even process seems to be in place to help the non-Microsoft employee developing apps that use these features.  Please help

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:15 PM
  • There is a class StorageApplicationPermissions which has a property FutureAccessList that you can use to store any folders you would like to have future access to.  Add the result of a FilePicker call to this dictionary.  On application start you can retrieve any folders stored here.  This is the way to propagate folder access permissions from the user to you.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:14 PM