Xamarin Forms Still Alive? RRS feed

• Question

• User275381 posted

Hi guys,

I just wanted to make sure Xamarin Forms is being actively worked by the team. I do see some activity; however, I don't think I've seen a release in awhile (since December). I checked the release schedule on nuget, and releases were a lot more frequent. Is Xamarin Forms no longer a priority? I certainly hope not.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:44 PM

Answers

• User89714 posted

@JamesLavery @ClayZuvich - See https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/wiki/Feature-Roadmap

Q2 2018 is the next planned stable release according to that, which is a long time between stable releases IMHO.

I'm waiting to see how much code I need to change for the first item they list in vNext (Q1 2018 Pre-Release - Q2 2018 Stable), as I've already implemented it in my own code...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:15 AM

All replies

• User171749 posted

Check the Github: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms

There is always things going on, The last commit made by the Xamarin team was 4 hours ago. There is a community sprint going on at the moment too check out the all the upcoming pull requests.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:46 PM
  • User275381 posted

@seanyda I do see github activity; however, the release schedule hasn't typically been quarterly. What concerns me is that a big release will come out which will fix issues, and also introduce new ones. I guess 2.5 is mostly stable, but I also see 119 bugs.

Kudos to the team if the focus is on fixing the bugs; however, it would be nice to get an idea on when a release is coming out.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:51 PM
  • User171749 posted

@ClayZuvich said: @seanyda I do see github activity; however, the release schedule hasn't typically been quarterly. What concerns me is that a big release will come out which will fix issues, and also introduce new ones. I guess 2.5 is mostly stable, but I also see 119 bugs.

Kudos to the team if the focus is on fixing the bugs; however, it would be nice to get an idea on when a release is coming out.

Yeah I agree it's been a while since a release now, Have you seen the Nightly builds?

This is where they do a release everyday of all the changes, It might be worth checking out what the most recent nightly build is like so you get a feel for the upcoming stable release.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:55 PM
  • User180523 posted

@seanyda said: Yeah I agree it's been a while since a release now, Have you seen the Nightly builds?

This is where they do a release everyday of all the changes, It might be worth checking out what the most recent nightly build is like so you get a feel for the upcoming stable release.

For those of us in professional environment and not just wacking at it at our kitchen tables the nightly builds don't apply. Most work environments only let you use "stable" official releases. Work environments can't risk being down, conflicts or problems caused by untested alpha builds.

Or to put it another way... The customer waiting at the car dealership doesn't care how much work is being done at the factory - if the new model is never released to the public it really doesn't matter.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:05 PM
  • User350 posted

@ClintStLaurent Good point - but still begs the question of what the release activity for stable builds is published. Is there a planned next release candidate aiming for stable?

I can see information on Xamarin releases here - but this covers tools and Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS.

Is there a similar resource for Xamarin.Forms releases?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:32 PM
  • User89714 posted

@JamesLavery @ClayZuvich - See https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/wiki/Feature-Roadmap

Q2 2018 is the next planned stable release according to that, which is a long time between stable releases IMHO.

I'm waiting to see how much code I need to change for the first item they list in vNext (Q1 2018 Pre-Release - Q2 2018 Stable), as I've already implemented it in my own code...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:15 AM
  • User275381 posted

@JohnHardman Thanks for providing the link! I agree that Q2 is a very long time to wait for the next release.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:33 PM
  • User3516 posted

Well, the next Microsoft Build conference is in May, so i guess we will see the next stable release then.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:39 PM
  • User76049 posted

@DirkWilhelm said: Well, the next Microsoft Build conference is in May, so i guess we will see the next stable release then.

The stuff that arrives for build is usually unstable as lots of features as pushed out at the last minute. I'd wait for 2 patches after release before upgrading a production app.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:45 PM