none
U-SQL CREATE DATA SOURCE for Azure SQL Server in US West region

Question

• I am trying to configure the firewall IP address whitelist access for an Azure SQL DB, in order to run a CREATE DATA SOURCE command for external U-SQL Data Lake Analysis querying. The guidance I am following is:

__https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt763307.aspx__

In there is a list for IP addresses per Azure data center region. The "US West" region is not listed, yet that is where my resource group is located.

So, the question is: What is the IP address range I should use for "US West" region?
    Thank you!
    Eric
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric

The IP range that you need to enable is the range for where your ADLA account resides. Since you are using Azure SQL DB, enabling Azure Services should be enough. If you were connecting to a SQL Server instance in the VM, you would need to enable the IP range as outlined in the documentation for the region where your ADLA account resides.

Having said that, please be aware that accessing data across region boundaries can be slow and you will have to pay for data egress for the data returned by Azure SQL DB to ADLA. 

Michael Rys

• Marked as answer by EricCodeBot Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric

The IP range that you need to enable is the range for where your ADLA account resides. Since you are using Azure SQL DB, enabling Azure Services should be enough. If you were connecting to a SQL Server instance in the VM, you would need to enable the IP range as outlined in the documentation for the region where your ADLA account resides.

Having said that, please be aware that accessing data across region boundaries can be slow and you will have to pay for data egress for the data returned by Azure SQL DB to ADLA. 

Michael Rys

• Marked as answer by EricCodeBot Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response. And thank for your widespread engagements in support of Azure Data Lake. Your contributions have helped me many times while learning about this space.

Eric

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:37 PM