none
PS 2007 Event Handlers and PSI Extensions and Impersonation in a Multi-Server Farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am planning to roll out some custom PS 2007 Event Handlers, PSI Extensions that use impersonation in a farm that will have multiple App and WFE servers. As I was configuring the farm, I started wondering about the PSI Web Services that are accessed via the SSP and came across a statement that I had not paid much attention to before. It says "Applications that use the local path cannot run on separate Project Web Access servers in a multiserver installation." Am I reading this correctly? If I have an event handler or PSI extension that uses impersonation, I can only install this on one server in the farm?

Thanks,

Erik

Erik RHS
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hey,

You should be fine deploying and running an event handler or PSI extension in a farm with more then one server. However you will have have to deploy the event handler and PSI extension to every application server in the farm.

The only thing I can think this is refer to is if you hard code a URL to an application service and avoid load balancing across the application servers then your application may only use a single server in the farm and may overload it.

Chris Boyd
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Project Team

• Marked as answer by Jim Corbin Friday, May 13, 2011 3:02 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:44 AM

All replies

• Hey,

You should be fine deploying and running an event handler or PSI extension in a farm with more then one server. However you will have have to deploy the event handler and PSI extension to every application server in the farm.

The only thing I can think this is refer to is if you hard code a URL to an application service and avoid load balancing across the application servers then your application may only use a single server in the farm and may overload it.

Chris Boyd
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Project Team

• Marked as answer by Jim Corbin Friday, May 13, 2011 3:02 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response, it's good news. Each server has registry entries that contain the impersonation info (SSP PSI URL, Res GUID, etc.) and my event handlers would use this to make calls to the SSP PSI web services on the App server where they are installed. I wasn't sure about the PSI Extensions, since I assumed they would be deployed on the WFEs (true?). If so, I figured I would have to use a load balanced SSP PSI URL for them. I have tried to find any info about this kind of configuration, without luck so far. I appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Erik

Erik RHS
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hey,

For impersonating on a 2007 server you need to call directly into an application server, which it looks like you are doing. There is no API to get the URL for the backend, so the way you are doing is a good solution.

Chris Boyd
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Project Team

Friday, May 13, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Thanks Chris...

Erik RHS
    Friday, May 13, 2011 5:31 PM