none
XLSB : How to format cells without Interop in .net RRS feed

• Question

• In our application we have multiple XLSB files getting generated simultenously using SSIS jobs triggered by .net program. After the files data are populated into the XLSB file, we are currently formatting the cells using Interop which is creating Excel instance in-turn producing bottleneck issue as the server could not create more than 15 to 20 instances at a single time.

Can someone give me a solution with example to format XLSB file using .net without Interop and without  Excel instance creation.

Saturday, December 16, 2017 8:26 AM

All replies

• If you were creating .xlsx files I would recommend SpreadSheetLight (free) that does styling with a style class and does not need Excel installed.

Keeping with free libraries you can check out EPPlus, have not used it but believe it's worth checking out.

For a third party library there is GemBox SpreadSheet library which does not require Excel to be installed and uses style classes (similar to SpreadSheetLight library) to style cells. GemBox has a trial version which when purchased you simply use a serial number to fully activate.

There is also Aspose.Cells which in short is similar to GemBox library, no Excel needed and uses styles.

Given your Excel format I would look at Gembox first then Aspose then EPPlus. Why this order, because the paid products are more robust and have continued support. I've worked with both Aspose and Gembox and believe Gembox provides the best bang for the buck overall.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, December 16, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Hi Arun Marthandan,

Check out Spire.XLS, this is an easy to use and full featured lib which supports to create, manipulate, convert and print xls, xlsx as well as xlsb files without Ms Office to be installed. The trial version is available both on Official website and NuGet, here is the tutorials for your reference.

Hope my answer helps.

• Edited by Shawn Sh Monday, December 18, 2017 2:16 AM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 2:14 AM
  • Thank you very much, I will check and get back to you.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Thank you very much, I will check and get back to you.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 12:33 PM