none
Can't install .NET in spite of taking all measures I could find RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get .NET to work on my Vista computer. I have searched this forum and tried:

* Install/uninstall .NET 3.5 in the normal ways
    * Windows installer cleanup to remove all traces of Visual Studio
    * sfc /scannow (no errors reported)
    * .NET Framework Setup Cleanup utility

Still the .NET Setup verification utility says "Product verification failed" for all versions of .NET (including 2.0). So now I can't seem to run any .NET applications which is REALLY problematic.

As a result of the above I have quite a few log files. Too much text to publish in this post. Please let me know if I should supply information from any of these.

Regards
    /Torbjörn
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi THedberg,

Thank you for your detail information.

• Turning .Net 3.0 does not work. The installation program says "The installation failed, some components were not installed".
  • Repairing .NET 2.0 and 3.0 according to the blog link you sent was not possible because I have Vista SP1
  • I have tried the Vista repair tool I could find info about (sfc /scannow)

• Based on your description, both .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are corrupted or damaged on your Vista.

For .NET Framework 3.5 installation, we need .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as the prerequisites. Since .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are included as OS components of Vista, your issue could be related to OS.

Have you tried restoring your OS to an earlier point?
    If it still doesn't work, please try Windows Vista Setup forum to get more useful help there.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:33 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:38 AM

All replies

• hi

refer similar thread here
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/e61e5a9f-3517-4c81-8f16-75d088642bb5

follow the steps suggested by yi chun chen
    let us know wht error u r getting in log file

thanks
    anliS
    Regards anliS www.businessinsightsconsulting.com Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Thank you for Anlis's kindly help.

Hi THedberg,

Based on your description, it seems that all .NET Frameworks are corrupted on your Vista.

To run .NET applications, .NET Framework should be well installed on your machine.

Firstly, please check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.

Then run Verification Tool to verify .NET Frameworks again.

Have both .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 been upgraded to SP1?
    If yes and the verification fails, here is a helpful blog about how to repair .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1  on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/07/03/8685850.aspx .
    Hope this helps.

If no avail, you might try reparing Vista or restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point . Or I would suggest you to post this issue on Technet - Windows Vista Setup forum to get more useful help there. After your issue is solved, please try installing .NET Framework 3.5 again. If you have any concern during the installation, I'm willing to help you with that.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, September 4, 2009 9:39 AM typo
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Yichun Chen.

• Turning .Net 3.0 does not work. The installation program says "The installation failed, some components were not installed".
    • Repairing .NET 2.0 and 3.0 according to the blog link you sent was not possible because I have Vista SP1

I have quite a few errors in my log files. I'll try to post the ones I think may help
    • "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v3.5\microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1\vs_setup.msi could not bo opened."
      I have access rights to this file. I also tried to replace it with another with the same name that I found (but I don't know if the new one was correct). I also guessed it had something to do with Visual Studio, so I tried the MSI uninstall utility to try to remoeve all traces of VS (I don't currently need VS for anything).
    • 09/02/09,11:19:02] VS Scenario: [2] *** Blocking Components exist and must be satisified before continuing to install ***
      [09/02/09,11:19:02] VS Scenario: [2] Windows XP Service Pack 2 Update Information
      [09/02/09,11:19:02] VS Scenario: [2] *** End of Blocking Component List ***
      [09/02/09,11:19:24] VS Scenario: [2] Failed to pass the Warnings/Blocks checks in CVSScenario::Start()
      [09/02/09,11:31:22] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5LP - SVE: [2] Component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5LP - SVE returned an unexpected value.
      [09/02/09,11:31:22] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5LP - SVE: [2] Return from system messaging: Incorrect function.
    • Error: Installation failed for component Språkpaket för Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1
    If these log entrys don't help, which logs should I post more info from?

Regards
    /Torbjörn
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Hi THedberg,

Thank you for your detail information.

• Based on your description, both .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are corrupted or damaged on your Vista.

For .NET Framework 3.5 installation, we need .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as the prerequisites. Since .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are included as OS components of Vista, your issue could be related to OS.

Have you tried restoring your OS to an earlier point?
    If it still doesn't work, please try Windows Vista Setup forum to get more useful help there.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:33 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:38 AM