none
[PHP][Web Apps] WordPress web app supporting two domains RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing Azure subscription against which I run a virtual machine, which has WordPress installed. I am interested in potentially ditching the Virtual Machine in favor of a web app. I need to be able to expose two domains, let's call the site1.com and site2.com.

I am not really getting my head around how to set this up so I can have two domains. I just walked through the wizard to install a WordPress web app and I can now log on just fine to that instance. As part of that I specified the B1 (Basic) pricing tier because it includes a) custom domains and b) 3 instances.

What are the "instances" in this context - do these show up through separate WordPress admin consoles (one for each domain I might want to set up)? The first one of these is set up and available to me, but it's not clear to me how to set up a second instance.

Also, what is the relationship between this definition of "instance" and WordPress MU - do I need the latter?

So, a little confused but hoping this is something of a common request. Any pointer/documentation would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark Williams

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just to add to this, I did figure out how to add another web app under the same resource group but it's an "empty" web app and I don't now how to get WordPress there. By comparison, when I went to the Marketplace when creating my FIRST web app, I was able to select WordPress and everything was set up such that when I browsed to the URL I saw the initial WordPress experience (enter a name, password, etc).

Basically I have...

<resource group>

<web app with WordPress>

<web app without WordPress>

So, for the empty web app - which is a "peer" to the WordPress web app - how to I get WordPress associated? And is the right way to get two domains up and running with WordPress (does WordPress MU factor in here somewhere)?

Thanks.

Mark

Mark Williams

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:02 PM
  • To answer your questions:

What are the "instances" in this context?

You have an "app service plan" (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-web-sites-web-hosting-plans-in-depth-overview/) which contains 3 instances. These are worker servers, they run the wordpress code, i.e. they execute the PHP code to generate HTML which is then served to the clients. The state for your wordpress app is held in your MySQL database, which is shared by the worker instances.

For the empty web app:

You can deploy Wordpress code to the app, however the easier thing to do is to just create a new app with Wordpress from the gallery (which is what you did with the first app). This will be an entirely separate site.

To add a custom domain name:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-custom-domain-name/

Software Engineer, Azure App Service

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:31 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I'm still not totally getting the relationship between a web app (WordPress for me) and the app service plan.

I created the first app and, in doing that, created a new service plan. My assumption, which appears to be wrong, is that I could then create a second app and associate it with that first (existing) service plan. But I am not offered the opportunity to select an existing service plan. All I can do is enter the name of a new service plan, which is confusing to me.

To be more specific, when I am on the Web App blade and naming my new WordPress app, I have a text box with the label "Create new AppService plan". Even though I have already created an app service plan with the previous web app, there seems to be no way to select it ie. to share a service plan.

By the way, I just noticed that when I create a new WordPress app (New -> WordPress) I get the behavior above ie. I can't associate with an existing app service plan,. However, if I create a regular web app (not WordPress), I DO get the option to use an existing app service plan. So, confused...

Can you clarify please?

Thanks.

Mark Williams

• Edited by MarkWill890 Saturday, June 20, 2015 7:13 AM
    Saturday, June 20, 2015 7:01 AM
  • You can create a wordpress app in an existing app service plan. From manage.windowsazure.com :

Software Engineer, Azure App Service

Monday, June 22, 2015 7:47 PM